Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Cold house

Some ideas for a cold greenhouse house plant please - it is for a man - nothing too flowery but something that will withstand growing in a low temperature but will also withstand soaring heat in the summer.  He doesn't like bougainvillea if that is any help.  

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Lemon tree?

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Cacti seems like a good idea - I will look in the garden centre next time we visit.  Too small a space for a tree really - although it is a great idea and productive too.

• Thanks Philippa I will look at these - just hope that the local garden centre isn't just full of Christmas trees and the usual baubles and bangles - plants take second place at this time of year.

• Besides cacti there are many other succulents which tolerate cold, as long as the compost is dry, for example Crassula, Echeveria, Aloe, Sedum,succulent Euphorbias. Delosperma, smaller Agave, Cotyledon and many others.

• Thank you Alan, I will look at the garden centre at the w/end and ask all the relevant questions.  Not the best time to be buying plants as I mentioned above, but fingers crossed that one of the assistants will be able to point me in the right direction.  However now that I have received so many helpful replies from you all I have more idea of what to look for.

• carnivorous plants? like Venus fly traps, pitcher plants, sundews, butterworts and bladderworts.

they go from totally hardy (I grow mine outside in sunken Belfast sink) to totally tropical with lowland tropical nepenthes pitcher plants (need a heated greenhouse - nothing below 25 degrees will do) so could start easy and work to harder ones.

every size, shape, colour some have scented flowers. and as a plus side they eat fly's and love wasps!

and most importantly he can't overwater them!

• Carnivorous plants would be a good choice, but in a hot greenhouse they would need a lot of watering, and tap water is unsuitable, so you would have to have a good supply of rainwater, and make sure they don't dry out.

• any of the Sarracenia's (north American pitchers) are good, there are multiple hybrids, anything with S purpurea purpurea in them are really hardy and can be grown outdoors.