London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 33 messages
27/04/2013 at 15:31

I recently purchased three bags of Gardenline muti-purpose compost from Aldi.

It contains shredded plastic, pieces of masonry, bits of glass and today I've just found bits of somebody's old sunglasses to say nothing of the twigs, pebbles and woody material. Germination rates are also very poor.  When compost is constituted from council rubbish tips, should it not be made clear on the packaging?

You get what you pay for!!

23/03/2014 at 18:29

To anyone else looking for a review I can confirm my Aldi compost bought a couple of months ago has lots of shredded plastic and idk what else! Terrible.

23/03/2014 at 18:32

Contact their head office with photographs of the compost - or  contact your local Trading Standards office for advice.

It is not fit for purpose.

23/03/2014 at 18:34

That sounds like your average bag of compost

What I've had so far this year has been better than last. I buy whatever is on special offer to the 'garden club members' at our local GC

23/03/2014 at 18:35

Good plan Dove! I will tell Aldi. Thanks.

Incidentally I am now using some far better compost (Erin) that my friend had spare when he moved into a flat, but it is a peat-based compost so I will keep tabs on what else is good when the time comes to buy some more.

Cheers nutcutlet, from what I am reading composts have become much more variable in quality and generally worse!

23/03/2014 at 18:45

I bought a bag of the peat free compost two days ago from Aldi,i to have say it was fine,i stopped buying the multi-purpose because of the same reasons as above now i just make my own  they do have compost bins for sale now for £18 which i think is a good price.

Lyn
23/03/2014 at 19:02

Erin is nice compost but so free draing you will need to keep an eye on the watering.

I am using now a fantastic compost, Bulrush professional,, pricey but good.

23/03/2014 at 19:42

We had a similar problem with some cheap compost we bought a couple of years ago, I think it was Homebase or Focus.  However, we just bought 3 bags of Homebase Multi purpose extra and all looks good so far.  It was just to put on the raised beds to top them up and was dug in and mixed well with the existing earth.  Must say, not one foreign object found.

23/03/2014 at 21:42

For the first time I've bought Aldi compost. I have to say what I've bought in the NE is excellent. Well graded no foreign bodies and not soaking wet. I can't say how well the seedlings will grow as it's too soon. Excellent price compared to known brands.

23/03/2014 at 22:28

Well when all else fails make your own then you know what's gone in to it 

24/03/2014 at 01:40

Nice one Kevin, that's a neat answer!

From other feedback maybe with the Aldi bag I was just unlucky (although tbh the other compost in comparison was simply a revelation).

And Lyn, Erin sure is very free draining, and spongy when wet rather than claggy  - I'm using some, a bit hopefully, to save a rather waterlogged sage plant - so will bear that point in mind especially with some of the late germinators. Ideally I will find a consistently good peat-free mix or follow Kevin's suggestion.

24/03/2014 at 08:53

Does anybody know what seedling compost won a which award recently?

Lyn
24/03/2014 at 09:02

The Gardeners world mag have done a survey and have said Westland john innes seed compost as the best.  But then a year or two ago, Which mag voted Verve as the best compost and that is awful.  I dont think it matters much with seed compost, seeds will germinate on anything, try blotting paper or kitchen roll. Its the next stage where you need a good compost.

24/03/2014 at 09:42

Kevin, I think you may be muddling bought-in compost with what you make yourself.

It's a shame they are both called compost. They are not the same.

If you have bought bad compost, take it back to the shop where you bought it and complain.  That is who you have the contract with; they must give you your money back or whatever the remedy is. Do not forget to say you go on Gardening Message Boards and you will be publicizing their carp compost.

I have to say that rubbish bought-in compost is the result of gardeners claiming they want peat-free and various rules about land-fill etc, etc.

24/03/2014 at 12:08

Welshonion,

Cheers!

But are the environmental concerns about compost from peat bogs not valid?

24/03/2014 at 12:45

I have just bought 4x 125litre bags of Verve for my veg bed extension and found them to be fine; oh there was one small stone!

24/03/2014 at 14:34

You're best making your own via a compost bin (available from local council) ...all your fruit & veg peelings over the year (only raw stuff though, not cooked) plus used  teabags, coffee grounds, grass cuttings, dead flowers and plants,  leaves, takes about 9-12 months to decompose but comes out perfect. Throw in a spadeful of garden of soil every now and again. Process is speeded up if you buy half a kilo of live Earthworms from an Angler's shop and put them in there to feast !!  Sounds gruesome but they do produce perfect compost like factory workers.

If every householder dutifully and daily composted all their raw garden & kitchen waste (though not meat or dairy) there'd be no need to buy compost from anybody !

Edd
24/03/2014 at 14:53
Edd
24/03/2014 at 15:21

Edd
24/03/2014 at 15:48

Didn't someone start a topic on a similar note as this recently?

Edd

1 to 20 of 33 messages