London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
9 messages
04/03/2014 at 07:43

Hya! folks,  a mate of mine says it helps to minimise frost damage if containers are lined with newspapers, sounds reasonable to me, (what do I know?), but would the printing ink affect the ph of the compost?

Has anyone tried this idea?

T.I.A.

pete

04/03/2014 at 07:54

Modern printing inks don't contain the harmful stuff that the old ones used to, so I don't think that's a problem.  

Newspaper is a good insulation material for many things - not sure if I'd use it for insulating inside plant pots tho'  - it would soon go soggy and compact and that would reduce it's insulation properties.  It would also provide lovely homes for all sorts of bugs that may or not like to eat your plants.

I'm happier wrapping pots that will remain outside in bubble wrap for the winter and removing it in the spring. 

04/03/2014 at 11:56

Tried and tested bubble wrap ,all my fig cuttings and first year tree came through with bubble wrap and r rearing to go all in unheated greenhouse, im well happy ,of course just moved house so iv got boxes of the stuff,glad i didnt throw it away ,its just the job 

04/03/2014 at 12:27

I have seen plants insulated with shredded paper - it was hardy banana pseudostems covered with drain pipes and stuffed with shredded paper. A lid was placed to keep the paper dry. If it gets wet then the plant will rot.

I bubble wrap when needed - not really needed it this winter!

04/03/2014 at 14:21

Thanks for the replies peeps, so a no to paper, didn't think it would be needed, but didn't want a repeat of a few years back when I decided to bring 300 busy lizzies out into the open on which turned out to be the heaviest frosty night for years.

pete

04/03/2014 at 14:27

I can see newspaper on the outside of the pots potentially doing something so long as it were kept dry but since I chuck my shredded newspaper into the compost bin I can't see it doing anything other than turning into sludge and eventually mud if you put it on the inside

04/03/2014 at 17:01

Wet paper is a no no but if you want just to protect trays of seedlings in a cold g/h, you can just lay over the top.  It's certainly a good insulation material that way.

If you want to protect pots over the winter, you can stuff newspaper in plastic bags (old compost bags are ideal ) and tie them round your pots.  I find it works as well as straw.

04/03/2014 at 19:40

Just use horticultural fleece over the Busy Lizzies - it will keep light frost off.

06/03/2014 at 07:23

Thanks for all the help folks, sorry I'm late replying but I've been busy searching for a garden hose, (my not so old one has cracked all along it's length )

must remember to get some fleece and bubble wrap for next winter, apart from the wind and rain

Thanks for all the help folks, must get some bubble wrap and fleece for next winter.

The temperatures haven't been so bad so far this year, it's been the wind causing all the trouble.

Off now to source a decent garden hose, any tips?

T.I.A.

email image
9 messages