Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Contorted Hazel

JoybellJoybell Posts: 126

Hi all

I have a contorted Hazel which has grown straight suckers from the base, would it be best to pull them off or use secateurs close to the base, any advice much appreciated.

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

Hi Joybell, I have always brushed away a little soil and cut just below the soil level.

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Mr Ford is correct, cut from the base image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

And try not to leave any of the straight growth behind as it will regrow.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 811
    I'm sure it's best to pull it away but We find it impossible. Mine get cut off, my husband, the under gardener, has to slide underneath as if he was in the SAS(I wish!) mind they do grow back.

I know it's dull the rest of the year but mine is currently awash with baby catlkins, worth it just for that, roll on Spring. 2* here in the NE with a tiny sprinkling of snow.
  • JoybellJoybell Posts: 126

Thanks for all your advice, that will be a job for tomorrow, as I can now see what was going on underneath as the leaves have dropped. I prefer HAzel at this time of year because of the structure of the branches and catkins. Thanks

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

If you look very closely at the branches you may see some tiny red dots. They are the female flowers from whence cometh the nuts. Even Corylus contorta nuts are edible.