London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
3 messages
01/10/2013 at 10:03

Many years ago I bought a solution that I could spray on  and around my shrubs that killed couch grass. I have now have the same problem but am unable to find the 'solution' anywhere.

I can pull some of the grass out but it always breaks under the roots of the shrubs.

Any ideas folks?

01/10/2013 at 11:00

Sadly they have stopped selling the product (used to be Weed-out I think). All you can do is very carefully spray the emerging stems with a translocatable weed killer. I add a little liquid soap to the solution as it makes it stick to the grass stems.

I have been cleaning out one of our borders that last few weeks. So far I have filled 12 compost bags with couch roots. And I can gaurantee that I have missed almost as much as I have removed.

01/10/2013 at 23:29

I can't vouch for this, but I have read that a wild flower called yellow rattle 'eats' the roots of couch grass.  This has been mentioned in various wildflower threads but I don't know if it would thrive under shrubs or not - or whether it would end up spreading like mad and being as much of a problem as the grass! 

email image
3 messages