London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
5 messages
03/07/2014 at 19:31
Hi I'm going to cross two roses and just wondered whether after pollinating the mother rose I should cover it for some time and for how long? My worry would be that it may be pollinated again by an insect! Any advice please? Thanks
03/07/2014 at 20:21

..not everyone bothers to cover them it seems, but I would... until the hip forms [if it does] and changes colour to a red or orange...

..it's funny you should mention this..we must be thinking on same lines as I was going to attempt this myself....I tried it once before years ago but it didn't take... I aim to have another go armed with more information this time...  best of luck with yours..

I'm going to follow this American advice here, which seems quite straight forward and comprehensive...

http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/articles/28-hybridizing-your-own-roses.html

03/07/2014 at 20:35
Thanks Salino That's really helpful. I think I will cover it!
03/07/2014 at 23:11
Kribon. I admire your task. To be honest. I have to admit, batanically etc . Once a flower has had it's prospecive seeds fertilized, what takes place next. To be on the safe side. I would go down the road to isolation. That being. Bye the bye I take it that you are talking about hand pollinating. Now then. To do this. You really are setting up a min lab. So everything has to be kept sterile. In all honesty. I have to admit. I don't know if a fertilized seed pod can now be re-fertilized. However to be on the safe side. Might I state my process. So. Plant produces flower. Fine anthers and peds are there. Now, hopefully before any creepy crawly enters the scene. Cover the flower with a bag. Thenat your leisure. Take some brushings of pollen and transfer onto the victim. Once again enclose the flower. In time nature takes it's course. The flower wilts and dies. Also the whole plant begins to recede back to the roots or bulb. Let the plant die down. A whole amount of nutriments will return to th root source. By this time. The seed pods should have swollen. Give them chance to ripen. This will be obvious when the oute shell/encasement begins to split open. Collect the seeds, Keep them dry and airy. Perhaps a quick spray of som insecticide might kill off parasites etc.
04/07/2014 at 20:46

Thanks very much for the advice Mike!  I will go with isolation then!  

email image
5 messages