Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Engineering bricks or solid bricks for patio project

Hi, we had a concrete slab laid a while ago, in prep for a bricked patio, our intention is to lay, blue bricks similar to kettly on its long side, so considering facing bricks.now a little unsure if we can use bricks for this purpose? They would be laid professional and mortared, but now worried it's not suitable, please help??

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,068

As I understand it, engineering bricks are baked at higher temps so resist wet and extremes of temperature much better than ordinary bricks.   Engineering bricks are often advised for path edges etc.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd use engineering pricks or those made for paving. Some others are as obelixx says, they can start disintegrating very quickly indeed, one winter. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • "engineering pricks" you have quite made my night image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Missed that one Jimmyimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've met some odd engineers, but I'd not call them that. 

Devon.
  • michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi   boomshake   I note that you are thinking about  using  blues as I know how expensive they are   why not use solids blocks the kind that  is the inside skin for  the faceing  bricks   don't get me wrong but solids are ok   but price them //or a good quality driveway block    ?  the blocks you can get in different  thickness   hope it helps  .. Michael

• Bushman2Bushman2 Posts: 548

Engineering bricks are double fired and so withstand frost and weather much much better and last much longer

• TootsietimTootsietim Posts: 178

I father has used blue engineering bricks for various jobs in the garden and they lasted very well, I imagine a patio of them would look rather fine.

My only concern would be whether they might become too hot to walk on, always assuming that the sun decides to shine once more.

• Great help, we are looking now at laying the blue facing brick, only concern is , that looking at the stock palettes there seems to be quite. Few that look chipped, so likely to have to write a good few off in each pallet, the area is 4.5 m so. Would you lay the mortar flush with the top of the bricks to avoid chipping in situ, what about a protective coating??