London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
16 messages
09/08/2013 at 09:32

I did a thread yesterday ref good & bad tools etc for the garden and due to the replies to this subject i feel it would be of a great help if it was pointed out how far behind the times gardening tv programs have become when it comes to offering good advice "by skilled" people ref both the safe way certain tools are to be used ie chain saw's /strimmers etc, and the ways to both winter service and check the condition of machines before and after use such as lawn mowers/rotovators etc,

All tools cost money and some if used in the wrong way can and do cause a lot of danger to the un-skilled user,

you'd never dream of driving your car on the roads without firsly being trained what to do and how,

But people drive ride on mowers or big engined walk behind mowers with no training what so ever and chain saw's are a very serious matter when it comes to the safe way and the un-safe way to use such a machine,

You can save yourself a lot of both time stress & money if you understand just the basic's of how to service your own lawn mowers be it push/ride-on, by knowing the simple facts ref How long will a fuel mix of oil & petrol last in the machineshould such fuel be used?

How to check if the air filter is blocked etc etc etc  all are simple 5 min jobs that can be checked and put write for next to nothing "if your shown what to look for and how to do it,

This is "NOT" just a mans subject, any woman who can change the tools on a Kenwood food mixer can change an air filter on a mower, chain saw, or a sparking plug.

So ladies if you can change a light bulb ! you can do these very simple but costly jobs yourself. (Costly at £18 per hour garden machine service charges)

Im amazed we have not had one Gardening TV producer look at these facts and come up to date on todays garden tools /machines and the need for such a program.

Lets be honest here and say we are years behind gardening tool and safety needs when it comes to such a subject.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

09/08/2013 at 09:40

You could be right SD. There are so many tools available and it could be helpful if there was a bit advice about using them safely. I know women who won't cut the grass. I say to them 'but you can use the hoover- it's just the same but outside! '. They  think a lawnmower's some mysterious machine that only men can operate.

Only problem is, the audience might be a bit small for a programme devoted entirely to that!

09/08/2013 at 10:09

My husband mows the lawn it's "his" job not because I can't or won't just because if I did he wouldn't bother!! I service the lawn mower in the autumn... I remove the blades and sharpen them, empty the oil tank and clean the filters... I agree with you though these tools are solto with little instruction and they are after all very dangerous... 

09/08/2013 at 10:22

OH usually mows our lawn 'cos he likes to be helpful but I maintain the mower.  He does not use the strimmer, I chose it, I use it, I fiddle with it and get the strings to run properly and replace the reels when  needed.  I can use carpentry tools and make my own painting stretchers and frames.  When I had a smallholding I used and maintained our Fergie tractor and the Acrobat hay turner, hay cutter and other equipment.  

I can't think of any reasonably experienced gardener that I know, male or female, who has not become fairly proficient at using and maintaining most of their gardening tools and equipment.  If we don't have the knowledge already and the manuals aren't to hand, we use Google or ask a friend.  

There are idiots, male and female', who operate hover mowers while wearing sandals and who use heavy duty brushcutters without using goggles, but they're not the sort who watch gardening programmes showing you how to do things safely, 'cos they already know   You can find them in A&E on Sunday afternoons

09/08/2013 at 11:47

Watched my neighbour (male) once mowing his lawn with an electric mower. Said to him over the fence "mind the cable it's.........." Bang!

09/08/2013 at 12:09
waterbutts wrote (see)

Watched my neighbour (male) once mowing his lawn with an electric mower. Said to him over the fence "mind the cable it's.........." Bang!

My mum was never allowed to use the mower because she was always doing that!

09/08/2013 at 13:18

I have my lawnmower serviced every year by a local company for two reasons

first being they are a dying breed and I like to support them

also the second reason is when the spring time comes I know my machine is in good condition and should start first time every time.It only costs around £40.00 for a interim service and a full service (every two to three years £80.00 where the carburettor is stripped down for cleaning also a full oil change.

I use to let a friend borrow it when they moved into a rented house with a big big grassed area, one time they returned it and the mower had expired they over worked it. But when it came to buying a new lawnmower they rejected my plea for a new one. Don’t lean any tools out as they may come back broken.

James

09/08/2013 at 13:47

FG, did your mum ever then go and pick up the live cable and have a good look at it from all angles? Men eh?

09/08/2013 at 14:03

Dont want to offend SD but a TV program dedicated to tools and maintenance of them would be very dull, i cant imagine many people tuning in to watch that.

If someone needs advice on how to do it youtube has everything anyone should ever need, and to pre-empt anyone saying not everyone uses a computer, that is not a reason to create a program for the minority that dont.

09/08/2013 at 14:24

singy - I used to enjoy watching Tool Time starring Tim Allen ....but that was an entirely different show! 

Very funny too 

wb- not sure about my Mum but she wasn't even happy switching on the tv let alone dealing with electrical cables! 

09/08/2013 at 15:27

Does anyone remember Barry Bucknell? All those interminable programmes, in black and white, about putting up shelves? My dad used to sit transfixed by BB's skill with a bit of 2 x 4 while my mum and I rocked with laughter.

09/08/2013 at 16:46

But you knew you could get him the book for christmas and he'd be happy, waterbutts.

09/08/2013 at 19:35

He secondary glazed the whole house with some awful plastic strips that he'd seen BB use. They had to be welded together over the kitchen stove with a hot knife.Nearly killed us all with the fumes and the cutlery set was never the same again.

09/08/2013 at 20:01

Many thanks for both reading and the replies,

Just to finish off on this subject,

Firstly, not everyone  has the www P.C a lot of people dont, same as mobile phones not all the country have or would want one, so to say just google for info would not be of use to these people,

The second point that's come up is a full program on servicing !!

I was thinking of a section of a good gardening program and ref people being bored stiff, im sure if they we're thinking of spending £300 on a good make of strimmer they'd find the effort to both see and hear what the program's experienced staff had to say ref good points and bad points before anyone buys!!!

The gardening programs that we're expected to watch are not pulling in the viewers due to untrained so called experienced people in front of the camera,

Im sure fully trained gardening folk must be really annoyed seeing such people doing what the trained gardener should be doing,

7 years training should stand for something!

the programs need new life and new ways of looking at the flooded market of gardening products on offer, 'A lot are rubbish & cheap,

Such things that need looking at are the 12 month warranty on the likes of mowers/rotovators when in fact you cant use them for 12 month as we have winter and these machines are sitting in the shed,

A better way would be 2 years and infact user time on a 2 year warranty works out at 12month allowing for non use time,

Who's speaking up for the gardener on subjects such as this ??

A good gardening program that was heard by the manufacturing people may stand up and offer a better warranty deal?????

Last but i feel important point, A lot of people dont have the income to spare buying all kinds of gardening products and a lot of the products we're not around years ago yet the gardeners had verious well tried & tested methods of gardening without the need for a high income to enjoy their hobby,

I'd like to see these people offered the verious ways of gardening instead of being left out due to lack of funds to spend on products & ways to deal with such problems.

Many people are suffering at the moment because of poor wages or even no work available, these people would welcome a bit of good gardening programs with the help of how to do such & such in different cost effective ways.

09/08/2013 at 20:06

wb -that made me laugh...not because you were ill I hasten to add! I can just picture you all with the dodgy Uri Geller cutlery 

09/08/2013 at 21:35

I've had a petrol mower for 15 years and never had it serviced. Works fine. Cheers!

email image
16 messages