London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
11/06/2014 at 21:34

This evening I found a huge Bee just lying still under a rose bush whilst I was picking up leaves by hand. It's body was still but you could see its body pumping up and down so obviously not dead.  In the past I always thought that these lone Bees out at night had exhausted themselves collecting during the day and couldn't get home so I just left them to their fate. Not any more. I recently read that if you desolve  some sugar with water on a spoon and put it beside the Bee it will drink it. It did, this long proboscus came from the front of its head and drank and drank for ages. It's gone now so I am assuming it just had no energy to fly and found the strength from the sugary drink. I'm buzzing off now.

11/06/2014 at 21:59

I've found bees in this situation and put some honey close to them - very satisfying when they revive and fly off.

11/06/2014 at 22:21

Isn't it just! I think the bees in our garden love Greek honey in particular 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/49042.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

12/06/2014 at 09:11

I've done this too,  either placed some honey by the bee or if I'm out and about placed flower heads around it. 

12/06/2014 at 10:08

Lovely picture Jess. Yes it's great to know they are revived and fly away to live another day. 

12/06/2014 at 10:40

Quite 

This little fella was rescued by my 6 year old daughter...she nearly killed it first by almost dumping a whole spoonful of honey onto it...

13/06/2014 at 11:25

Isn't it great when the children get involved?  I always buy local honey, which I read somewhere was more beneficial - anyway, the bee seemed to like it!  We're actually considering keeping them in hives at the bottom of the garden.  Any views from those with experience would be much appreciated.

13/06/2014 at 13:22

Ooooh a hive! 

Now I have bee envy, Patsy 

There are loads of local beekeeper associations dotted around the country. One of my friends is a member and said she did a short course with them and continues to get lots of help and advice. She's out in Kent.

In London there's the North London Bee Association and they sell their various honeys from the area, to the public. It's lovely! I buy a pot now and again, as it's meant to help with hay fever if taken regularly before the season - bit like a homeopathic treatment.

My daughter loves plants and animals - that bit, at least, I got right 

13/06/2014 at 17:17

I revived my first bee of the year a few weeks ago with a blob of honey. I keep a small jar just for them as I don't like honey myself.

13/06/2014 at 17:23
That's very sweet nibbs
13/06/2014 at 17:25

I think sugar-water will do (which is basically what nectar is).  Otherwise it's a bit counter-productive!  A honey bee makes some ridiculously tiny quantity of honey in its life so a large blob represents several bee-lives-worth!

13/06/2014 at 21:45

Jess, I'm in Kent too, only just outside London! We have country parks quite close by which promote wildlife.  In fact, there is an article in this weekend's Waitrose magazine highlighting honey bee walks.  I intend to look into it, as I am very keen to get involved.  My 4 granddaughters have also enjoyed watching their caterpillars develop into butterflies. I love this time of year!

14/06/2014 at 10:00

Steve 309.  I don't give them a LARGE blob, just a tiny amount on the end of a teaspoon handle. Wouldn't dream of wasting it.

15/06/2014 at 20:51
Honey bee walks? Off to google thanks Patsy
19/06/2014 at 11:26

Is there a shortage of bees this year, I have seen the odd one in my garden, but in my small greenhouse there does seem to be a shortage of flowers being pollinated,

I do leave it open all day in the sunny weather, but very few flowers have produced tomatoes so far.

Can they be pollinated by hand?

Thanks.

Edd
19/06/2014 at 11:55

Yes they can be pollinated by hand. Use a small paint brush. I use cotton ear buds for various other plants and it works for me.

19/06/2014 at 13:45

Aren't tomatoes self-fertile?

Edd
19/06/2014 at 13:51

Yes In the case of the tomato, we (unwittingly) selected plants with the defect of being self fertile! This came about as the plants were moved from its natural area to other areas of the world without taking the native pollinators with them, these were the best equipped to cross pollinate them. So the surviving strains were the ones that had this defect and are what we have now.

Edd
19/06/2014 at 13:59
19/06/2014 at 17:49

Many thanks Edd and Steve,

I picked up on the utube link and found a few more on the subject as well.

it seems the best method is to touch the plants near the flowers with a battery operated tooth brush, I will buzz dow to the shop tomorrow to buy one..

Meanwhile I will try the small paint brush as well.

Many thanks.

John

1 to 20 of 22 messages