London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 16°C
18 messages
25/08/2013 at 09:08

Has anyone had trouble with figs just shrivelling up and going soft before ripening? Is it because of this year's weather?

25/08/2013 at 09:26
Hi most of my info iv got from here and off the net,RHS and some other,there are also for helping out ,some are good ,but loads of help there ,iv only just started growing them so i,ll keep an eye on this good luck Alan
25/08/2013 at 09:34

I bought a fig tree earlier this year - it came with one small fig already on it which ripened beautifully - I did make sure the tree was well-watered - the roots of fig trees are mainly close to the surface and can dry out quickly in the sort of weather we've been having.  I noticed the leaves of mine flagging some afternoons and quickly gave it a good bucketful or two of water - in fact I've been treating it much as I've treated the outdoor tomatoes on the terrace next to it.

Could yours have been a bit too dry?

25/08/2013 at 14:56

I don't know that it got too dry but will give it another year to see what happens. Thanks

26/08/2013 at 09:05

After looking again at the fig I think it could be too dry and also the roots are coming out of the bottom of the pot! How and when do I root prune. Do I just cut off a third of the roots or do it in stages? What do folk use for container compost for a fig?

26/08/2013 at 09:17

Mine is in in a very large square terracotta pot (lots of garden vouchers for a big birthday) and in JI3 loam-based potting compost with added hort. grit.  As it's only small at the moment I put large chunks of polystyrene at the bottom of the pot to restrict rootgrowth and improve drainage 

The only figs I've known before have been growing in restricted areas in the ground, so I've not had to root prune, but I'm sure I've seen someone on tv - think it was MD but not sure, take a wedge out of the rootball of a fig with a saw, as if you were cutting a slice of cake.  Not sure when to do it - my guess is early spring, but I'm going to email the lovely Stephen Read at http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/ where I get my fruit bushes from before I do it - they are so helpful there. 

26/08/2013 at 13:14

Please let me know when you get an answer. Thanks

30/08/2013 at 10:11
Dove does it again, nice one thats a good site that, iv saved it, iv now got 6 good new cuttings for Mundesley and a 3 footer doing just nice but one thing iv missed r figs self pollinators don't remember seeing any info on that,also got some comfrey roots for the allotment the old figs will be in heaven up there bit o sun, bit o comfrey tea bit o TLC Lovely jubbly B lucky
Alan
30/08/2013 at 10:24

You can restrict roots in the ground by planting the Fig in an old washing machine cylinder - the big circle bit with holes in it. That allows the roots to be constrained by the water to drain and can be picked up for free/cheap.

30/08/2013 at 10:28

I've got a brown turkey fig that I had in a large pot and it wasn't until it was planted out and the roots constrained that it really took off. I've picked about 30 figs off it so far and more ripen every day. I don't do much to it apart from taking off fruits that have not developed in winter and just giving it a light prune as it like to 'reach out'. Will be getting another plant off my father in law soon.

31/08/2013 at 20:40
Garden maiden how or what your feeding please
31/08/2013 at 22:07

I don't feed it anything at all, never have.

31/08/2013 at 22:33
Alfierawes wrote (see)

Please let me know when you get an answer. Thanks

Hadn't planned to contact them yet as my fig tree isn't likely to need root pruning for a few years.  I'm sure if you contacted them they'd be helpful.

Alan4711 wrote (see)
Dove does it again, nice one thats a good site that, iv saved it, iv now got 6 good new cuttings for Mundesley and a 3 footer doing just nice but one thing iv missed r figs self pollinators don't remember seeing any info on that,....Alan

Really good fruit nursery Alan, and local to you now 

We don't have to worry about pollination with figs as the flowers are actually inside the 'fruit' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_fig 

01/09/2013 at 09:38
OH NO today i find all my figs are females just think 5/6 in the garden and her indoors there all taking over this gardening lark, BEWARE LADS BEWARE,bye the way if i didnt mention it theres a twenty foot fig loaded with fruit in the middle of Tenby town down a Muse (thats a posh word for something i dont know wot) sited right beside a tiny pond gets almost No sun and is wonderfull im watching the fruit mind
Alan
01/09/2013 at 09:57

Probably one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mews rather than one of

these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muses

or these http://muse.mu/ 

01/09/2013 at 20:09
oh right now im Amused
01/09/2013 at 20:38

09/09/2013 at 09:35

Thanks Dovefromabove. I have just looked again at the site and the info on figs is great. I will have a go at root pruning next year.

email image
18 messages