London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
10 messages
27/03/2014 at 19:43

Has anyone got a solution to getting rid of white and black fly without using chemicals.

All my plants are in pots as my garden space is very limited.

27/03/2014 at 19:45

I spray them with a washing up liquid solution in water, it seems to work for me 

27/03/2014 at 19:48

Done that, it does not work in my garden. thank you

27/03/2014 at 19:53

Ok, sorry can't help more than that really.  Apart from maybe marigolds?  I plant them near plants that are prone to greenfly and it must help as I don't get a lot, usually just on my roses.

27/03/2014 at 19:59

thank you

27/03/2014 at 20:42

Bump...can anyone help Iris?

27/03/2014 at 21:06

There is a thread about garlic spray, I've found it helps keep the bugs away.

27/03/2014 at 22:47

Whitefly in particular can be very difficult to control, especially if you have them at this time of the year.  As you clearly want to be as organic as possible, I think the answer for you is biological control using a parasitic wasp called encarsia formosa.  It's a bit too cold to use them right now, but it should be ok in a few weeks.  Not cheap but google should find you the best price.

27/03/2014 at 23:29

Tagetes is supposed to discourage whitefly in the greenhouse - probably its strong smell - but I don't know if it'd work outdoors.   It seemed to work in the g/h last year. 

I'm trying garlic grown amongst the strawberries to scare off the aphids, and having read about it on here, I think I'll try the garlic spray too, there and elsewhere.

Calendula and other nectar-rich flowers attract hover flies, whose larvae feed on aphids, as do ladybirds and the increasingly rare lacewings.

And you can always try squashing them between finger and thumb!

Good luck!

28/03/2014 at 00:04

Probably.  Most gardeners would like to follow their hobby, without using chemicals.  I recall that some years back.  A very well known gardening writer penned the comment that.  Blah, blah etc.  Due to an EU directive.  It is no longer pernisseable to use soap and water to spray plants as a solution to getting rid of the invaders.  I think that this must have been perhaps one of the first objections to the EU.

In all honesty.  The take is.  Your plants have become hosts to these naturally created individuals.  Needless to say, we are now experiencing an inbalance.  The insects provide food for other forms of wildlife. particularly the birds.  So what do we do.  We clutter up the garden with hanging containers of bird seed and fat balls.  So truly what is the answer?  Towards the end of the year.  I gather up the lady birds and enter them to the greenhouse.  Come the new season.  My plants are host to bugs.  Mr/Mrs lady bird, where are you?  None to be found.  So This is another avenue we can investigate.

email image
10 messages