London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
121 to 140 of 245 messages
28/03/2013 at 22:53
Palaisglide wrote (see)

If we are named for our gardens then I would be "ad hoc" with a few standard bushes the style changes by the year or even the season.
Jeannie, what ever you have is yours, if it annoyed you you would not still be planning it, it would be done, I moved into a new build detached 30 years ago and worked until I ached to change it from the lawn back front and sides to a garden i could live with. That has had many make overs as the years rolled on and that is what we gardeners do, we complete a project sit down with a glass in our hands look at it and see how it could be done differently and so away we go spade and fork flying plants being moved so many times they do not unpack their suit cases.
As long as we are reasonable pleased with our efforts then that is success.

Random ad hoc Frank.

Food for thought Ad Hoc Frank - I think I'm afraid to dig & plant in case it all goes wrong - added to the fact that I still have part of the back to sort out! Our back is very open so my efforts/errors are available for all to see..  I want to get it right first time; but should know that in gardening there is no "right."  Oh dear!!
My style is wannabe cottage, but have quite a lot of grass & paths.

Verdun wrote (see)
Highland Jennie, we know you are in Scotland, called Jean and still planning and processing your garden. You are also very modest....saying you are "unimaginative"....and people like that.
How big is your garden? Do you have a style you hanker for?
Your location suggests a hostile environment yet on some of your weather posts the temperatures are often pretty good. So, maybe in the west? Maybe,getting the gulf stream as we do,down here?

Hi Verdun, back is 50 foot x 50 foot, when planning I thought that raised beds might be better for me in the future - less bending, so have 4 of those.  There's an arch with a clematis one side & awaiting something else, probably a climbing Gertrude Jeykll. There's an obelisk waiting for a new bed to be dug (oh, the stones ) & loads of things in pots looking for a home.

We're about 16 miles west of Inverness, so NE. Could never live on the west coast - too much rain & too many midgies!!  Our (sometimes!!) reasonable weather is because we're low-lying & near the Beauly Firth/Moray Firth area.  (Or maybe the garden & car thermometers are wrong....??!!)   The winter can go on & on - I do worry about doing anything out there at this time of year, though.

28/03/2013 at 23:08
Highland Jenny, sounds really nice there.
Opposite to here then.
I guess this thread seems a bit nosey but it's good to know a bit more of the contributors without prying too much.
28/03/2013 at 23:31

OK Jeannie, next time I am in Inverness I will call in and sort it. Put a small tree there a couple of bushes there and there, already you are splitting the garden into windows with differing views, a 90 degree angle of low hedge just short sections will put a corner in enclosing yet not doing so. A small bed there with tall flowers at the back with support against the stiffish breeze and lower planting there, a small section of pave enough for a couple of seats in the warmest area and you have rooms, views, less of an open area, more a continuation from the outside in. sorted.
The bill is in the post.

Frank.

29/03/2013 at 09:12

Frank/Dad - remember to take her some carrot cake  In Scotland it's 1 of our 5 a day...Jean I'm in west and in central belt but high so I understand the probs. I think the key to designing is to list things you DON'T like first whether it's colour, shapes or maintenance and then look at aspect and requirements. That narrows it down a bit. If you start listing what you like -well we all know what happens then, you're re mortgaging the house after a trip to the nursery.. Right I'm off to get the shopping........

29/03/2013 at 09:24
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Frank/Dad - remember to take her some carrot cake  In Scotland it's 1 of our 5 a day...

And they serve a "Glasgow Salad" with everything (bowl of chips!)

Actually that's not true up here, there's lots of quality grub around.

29/03/2013 at 09:45
Highland Jeannie wrote (see)
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Frank/Dad - remember to take her some carrot cake  In Scotland it's 1 of our 5 a day...

And they serve a "Glasgow Salad" with everything (bowl of chips!)

Actually that's not true up here, there's lots of quality grub around.

That last statement is true Jeannie I found plenty of McD's and Colonel Chicken shops even a few domino's.
I had a wonderful meal at the Hotel overlooking Loch Lomond on a glorious sunny evening. I ate Bonny Prince Charlie cooked by a top chef followed by a delicious pudding and of course some lovely single malt later, costly but worth it for the glorious food and view. Never did find out why we were eating Charlie, must have been some left over after the battle.
Inverness was a marvelous place for good food we went to a different place each night and were never once disapointed, a bit like London, the world on a plate.

Frank.

29/03/2013 at 09:52

Fairygirl/Daughter, "you are going shopping" what is the matter with you woman, it is Good Friday even us just south of the border Reivers do not steal cattle and women on Good Friday!!!!!
I am off to the Vale of York an Engagement Party for my Grandson and welcome home party for Granddaughter home from Canada for a few days, I may be gone some time.

Frank.

29/03/2013 at 12:04

Jean- my daughter covers everything in tomato sauce- that counts as her 5 a day.. We have wonderful seafood in Scotland- but we export tons of it instead of eating it Come on Scots...get a grip! Venison..yumyum 

29/03/2013 at 12:57

I seemed to have missed this thread completely and it's such fun. I have very clear pictures of everyone I come across on the forum; all completely inaccurate I'm sure.

Verdun, quite thin, rather academic and slightly eccentric?

GG is sensible and doesn't stand any nonsense, likes to be in charge; ex school teacher perhaps?

I could go on but the garden is calling

29/03/2013 at 13:33
artjak wrote (see)

I seemed to have missed this thread completely and it's such fun. I have very clear pictures of everyone I come across on the forum; all completely inaccurate I'm sure.

Verdun, quite thin, rather academic and slightly eccentric?

GG is sensible and doesn't stand any nonsense, likes to be in charge; ex school teacher perhaps?

I could go on but the garden is calling

Artj- it's what's been keeping us entertained in this weather! I'm dainty and frivolous don't you know....

29/03/2013 at 14:13
Hey there Artjak I'm 6', athletic...used to box and run ..and fit. Cornish tan...well we all are down here...and energetic
. But, getting OLD (63) and hate that eeeeemensleeeee. ....however told I'm Peter pan and vain (i guess i am a tad ..ha ha) academic ish. Eccentric? No. But can be bit hyper and excitable like my golden lab. Hate bullies and often speak out when I see that and believe bullies are all cowards when confronted. Passionate about people and things I really care about. I am a moody sod too though. Thats Verdun.
Artjak? Let me see? Thinking.......you're from Norfolk area, prob from Kings Lynn. Good eh? I imagine an educated creative person, prob very kind, very fastidious, with a very neat tidy garden prob featuring at least a couple of scented....has to be scented...roses. I'm so vain I'm sure I'm spot on.
29/03/2013 at 14:14
Oh, fairy girl. Dainty amd frivolous? Oh yes! That's nice!
29/03/2013 at 14:34
Verdun wrote (see)
Oh, fairy girl. Dainty amd frivolous? Oh yes! That's nice!

Sorry to disappoint Verdun- that's what Tina said I was..... Not particularly dainty and not very frivolous either- more practical than anything else. Creative when the mood takes me.  And since the sun has now come out I think I should get something done outside other than the snow shovelling of recent days. I might be able to rescue the clematis in the grass..now where's my ice axe...

The tomato seeds I sowed a week ago are sprouting -hurray!

Artj if you think this thread's funny you should take a look at the clothing one...!! I'll just say Discodave ...!!!!

29/03/2013 at 14:48

I'm pretty useless at sussing people out.  Tried it on the old Beeb thread and had this picture of one poster being like Lauren Bacall.  Tall, sophisticated, wearing flowing clothes in subtle colours.  Totally wrong!! She saw the funny side of it and said she was barely 5'2" a little rotund and her wardrobe was mainly grey.  Did later buy a bright scarf.  I still think of her as being like Lauren Bacall. I like that thought.

30/03/2013 at 08:57
Fairy girl,
I got it now
Your're being ironic
You think nothing of heaving tons of bricks, fag hanging loosely from side of your mouth and.a can of lager in your gardening trug.
See? It just shows how misleading forum names are. I've got the guys mixed up with the girls and most everything else wrong.. It's been fun though. I'll get my coat!
30/03/2013 at 09:25
Verdun wrote (see)
Fairy girl,
I got it now
Your're being ironic
You think nothing of heaving tons of bricks, fag hanging loosely from side of your mouth and.a can of lager in your gardening trug.
See? It just shows how misleading forum names are. I've got the guys mixed up with the girls and most everything else wrong.. It's been fun though. I'll get my coat!

Verdun -only 1 out of 3 I'm afraid!!! Like a lot of people the names I was putting in didn't work and it was the daftest thing that came to mind!

If you're wondering....the bricks...don't drink or smoke 

Get your coat Verd...is it a duffle? I'm picturing you like Jonathon Creek now 

30/03/2013 at 09:28

Loving this threaad. Great entertainment folks    

30/03/2013 at 09:54

Tina- was she more Bogie than Betty?  Here's looking at you kid...

30/03/2013 at 10:01

Fairygirl, after I wrote that, I had the thought that anyone under a certain age wouldn't have a clue who I was talking about! 

You will always be frivolous and dainty in my eyes. Hmm, perhaps more like Charlie Dimmock.

30/03/2013 at 10:47

Tina -I have 1 of Charlie D's attributes (or is that 2..?) but I keep them well fettered and fastened in   Huge fan of Mr Bogart and also Jimmy Cagney. Casablanca one of my favourite films.

We'll always have Paris...

On a related note- I loved John Gielgud's quote about Ingrid Bergman- 'Poor Ingrid- speaks 6 languages, and can't act in any of them...' ouch!!!

121 to 140 of 245 messages