Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Garden design courses

Has anyone on here ever been on a garden design course?

I'd love to try my hand, but there seem to be so many versions about.

Ideally I'm looking for something I can do a day a week, over a 6-12 month period or so, in London.

London College of Garden Design looks impressive, but at 11k for a years course, I nearly fainted.

Does anyone know of the Capel Manor level 2 Garden Design course, either Enfield or Regents Park based?

Thank you image

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I did a Christopher Pickard Design course (in Edinburgh). It was 1 day a week at the Botanics. Very full-on course but it did turn out designers who could start their own businesses. There is a course in London.  Were you thinking of doing it for your own pleasure or as a career change?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • As a career change, I hope.

thanks for the info.

how did it pan out for you, if I may ask, and was there a strong horticultural element?

thanks again.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I did mine at Sparsholt , near Winchester

Devon.
  • Thanks Hosta - I'm in London, so ideally need a london- based one.

Lost my reply! Course was very comprehensive. Aimed to enable you to start your own business. Did assume you had plant knowledge but you did learn a lot. Had to do 1-2days per week out with college day. Helps if you can draw. That was a bit of a steep learning curve for me. Lots of hard work required.

It was about 10 years ago I did it.

• Thanks hogweed image