London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
2,161 to 2,171 of 2,171 messages
31/08/2014 at 20:31

Lovely border from caral's NDN, and love that glad Forester - am looking for one that colour for my "hot" patch next year - does it have a name?

31/08/2014 at 20:37

Caral - cuttings from Verbena bonariensis are easy too. If the neighbour lets you have a few little bits off them right now, they'd root quickly and grow away, and you'd have them for next year. 

31/08/2014 at 20:52

The red gladioli doesn't have a name Chicky as they were bought from Wilkinson as purple ones.   Some were purple but the rest turned out red which was a nice surprise.

31/08/2014 at 21:04

Fairy! No, really? I just need to resist the urge to bang the door down right now.  Doesn't help with OH saying its not too late....  a tad dark, but I do have a torch.. now there's a idea. 

31/08/2014 at 21:10

31/08/2014 at 21:12

Gorgeous photos.  Beautiful gardens.  Fairy - I never thought of taking cuttings of verbena B.  It is said that they seed around, but not in my garden. Great tip

31/08/2014 at 21:18

Lovely glads forrester, they are gorgeous colour and not cheating at all 

My verbena seeded in strange places like in pots! Not the flower beds? But think my beds are too heavy clay and think they like dry beds? 

31/08/2014 at 21:19

Lesley - I had sown some pots of V. bon last year which I planted out this spring. I snapped some bits off them in the process so I just trimmed them up and potted them and they grew on very quickly - one even flowered. I sent some of those to hollie hock recently. 

31/08/2014 at 21:33

Fairy when you say trim up, do you mean take flower heads off? And how long did you cut the pieces to? Sorry for so many questions as I might have a go 

Yesterday at 19:43

Sorry BM - only just saw this 

The bits I broke off were probably about 6"/8" long - they were the tops of the plants - but too early for flowers , just foliage at that point. I did as I would for any cuttings - took off most of the leaves, cut below a leaf joint, and trimmed back the top leaves to avoid water loss. They were about 3"/4" long and I just stuck them in 3" pots of gritty compost, kept them sheltered from the sun, and left them to it. They produced little side shoots very quickly - just at the junction of the main stem and the side branches - like a tomato does if that makes sense. They did that in a few weeks but it was warm. They'd probably need a bit of assistance at this time of year to get them rooted  -ie a bit of protection from the cold. 

Yesterday at 20:24

Thank you fairy, I will try when I'm off next on Wednesday 

email image
2,161 to 2,171 of 2,171 messages