Start a new thread

21 to 37 of 37 replies

Lilylouise

Our garden will have a little spot in the episode on bedding 

In August Christine Walkden and a film crew spent  a very enjoyable afternoon in our garden 

Pam LL x

Shrinking Violet

Not just Geoff Hamilton (who was a superb broadcaster and inspirational gardener) - I was inspired by the Geoffrey Smith series ("Mr Smith's Vegetable Garden" and "Mr Smiths's Fruit Garden" - if I remember the titles correctly!)  These were shown originally on Sundays - roundabout 1pm, I think.  But the down-to-earth presentation was faultless.  And worth repeating imo.

(Mind you, my memory may be failing - these series were first broadcast in the late 70s or early 80s, so that rather gives my age away )

Dovefromabove

I was smitten with Geoffrey Smith - when I'm on Desert Island Discs my luxury will be a recording of him on GQT waxing lyrical about all the plants you can grow in a shady garden 

little-ann

look forward to that Pam

Forester2

Who was the broadcaster who said "the answer lies in the soil"?

Advertisement

Lilylouise wrote (see)

In August Christine Walkden and a film crew spent  a very enjoyable afternoon in our garden 

Pam LL x

That will be amazing seeing someones garden from the GW forum on TV

nutcutlet

Forester,  it was Arthur Fallowfield

Forester2

Thanks Nut - my word, it was a long time ago.

Lillylouise - remind us all again in August to watch it..

nice little video on www.westcountry-nurseries.co.uk

Dovefromabove
Forester2 wrote (see)

Dove - ???

Arthur Fallowfield was a comedy character created by Kenneth Williams 

extract from the link above...." Another favourite was Kenneth Williams’ country character, Arthur Fallowfield, who was based on Dorset farmer Ralph Wightman  who was a regular contributor to the BBC radio programme “Any Questions?” The scripts were full of innuendo and double entendre - on one occasion Horne introduced him as the man who put the sex in Sussex. Fallowfield’s reply to any question began: “Well, I think the answer lies in the soil!” 

Forester2

Ah yes, it's all coming back to me now Dove.  I had it my head it was Bill Sowerbutts (could that have been his real name?) until Nut said it was Arthur Fallowfield.  Thanks for that.  

nutcutlet

Kenneth William's character may have been based on a real person, a lot of them were.  

Lilylouise wrote (see)

Pam LL x

I remember you saying when she came and saw the pics. I'll look forward to seeing you on TV

Advertisement

Forester2

Just  looked up Bill Sowerbutts on Wikipedia and it really was his name and he was on Rado 4's Gardeners Question Time.  

Dovefromabove

I remember Bill Sowerbutts  and Professor Alan Gemmill  both on GQT a long time ago.