London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
05/05/2013 at 17:30

had a good day in the garden. Had to get a skip for when the roof men took down the chimney so having a majopr clearout, where does it all come from? Trying to empty a water butt as the tap has broken meant to do it last year but it kept filling uo with rain.

The pond is full of tadpoles,and have given some to the children next door so they can watch them grow. Now sitting down for 5 minutes before i go and cook the dinner, takes a lot of effort making a salad. Ha Ha

05/05/2013 at 17:57

My Molly the witch has been and gone....finished floweriing weeks ago, alas.

Brilliant sunshine from mid day and very warm again.  Runner beans now planin the garden.

An elusive scent was traced to a couple of orange wallflowers.  as strong as that of stocks.  

So, good evening everyone.

05/05/2013 at 18:52

Evening all. Got a bit done outside but rain kept coming on so it delayed me a bit. Washed my big 'pond' pot so I'l try and get something done with it this week. Cut back an overgrown pine and cleared it all and did some other bits and pieces.

Everyone seems to have been busy-think you've all had good weather. Hopefully better here tomorrow when I get back from work and I might get a start on fence if I can face the DIY place to get posts...

05/05/2013 at 19:07

Just read the posts on the 'morning' thread before I posted here.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone about my pot 

Verd-hope everything went well for you today. Having somewhere to 'go' is so important isn't it 

Matty- there's no hole in the bottom so it's no use for plants although I did have something in a plastic pot inside it at old house- phormium I think. Had to keep checking there wasn't too much water collecting in it! I'm going to make it a tiny little pond as I have a little bit of Iris saved from the pond at old house and will get a tiny water lily. Strange what you said about your slate. When you talked about your white border I assumed you'd already decided that's where it was going- I thought that sounded the perfect place for it! 

05/05/2013 at 19:33

evening all . dull and broken sunshine in north manchester . put in some more spuds . and sown broad beans and runers in large pots .put in sweet peas . and peas. run out of poting compost .big tidy up . water butts getting low . now tea . endeavour on tv and  a cool beer 

05/05/2013 at 19:41

Evening all. Weeded, edged lawn (some of it), planted out some nicotiana and antirrinhums, moved some rudbeckia, divided a hosta.

Roast beef and Yorkshire pud will be ready very soon.

05/05/2013 at 19:45

chicken phall for me and mrs arch . roast tomorrow . no kids no grandkids 

05/05/2013 at 19:55

Evening everyone, it's been a beautiful day here, potted up some echinecias, angel wings and some nasturtians. Ventured out to usk castle, not been there before despite it being on my doorstop. There was a sculpture thing going on. It was brilliant, lots of nooks & crannies to explore. And I saw a toad in my pond/ditch/puddle

Like your pot Fairygirl

05/05/2013 at 19:56

It was as I was writing the first time it came to me. A day in garden planting into border and was sure. 

Have been trying to post pics - trying is the word

05/05/2013 at 19:58

Just home from very first visit to Kew, which I enjoyed hugely. Visit concentrated on alpines and we had the privelege of a tour of behind the scenes where the alpine experts look after the plants. Some plants are allowed to bake during the summer with little rain/watering....others are given shade. Different temperature controlled areas for over wintering etc. A bit mind bending to remember what for which but certainly know more about alpine care than I did.  The Princess of Wales Tropical House is particularly impressive, as is the alpine house and it's nearby alpine gardens. 

05/05/2013 at 20:15

Evening, all. We're going to Kew in June, WW. First time since our honeymoon 46 years ago! I'm really looking forward to it.

OK,Verdun, I'm an idiot! Have remembered to use the right thread tonight, though, so I must have a few brain cells left.

Weeded, mulched, tidied borders, all very ladylike. So why am I shattered?

05/05/2013 at 20:24

Evening all over the last few days I have sown sweet peas and lots of other seeds, planting out my false sunflower from Hollie hock it is now move to a pot inside the wheelbarrow planter and growing nicely and pricked on some more seeds also had to water garden as did get a bit warm.

Well today went on a trip to Brockenhurst here is a picture

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23122.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

Woodgreen Wonderboy is your garden in the ngs yellow book for your open day?

Other than that I got a Timelapse Camer and have been setting it up around the garden taking photos of the birds

05/05/2013 at 20:41

It's the fresh air GG I've been doing a bit and feel it

Was wondering how it was doing gardengirl, glad it's coming on well, mine is through and sprouting all over the place, think the division has made it grow more. The timelapse camera sounds very exciting

05/05/2013 at 20:47

Brockenhurst is a nice place, Gardengirl. We're going on holiday not too far from there soon, to the Isle of Purbeck in Dorset. When we were younger, we often camped in the New Forest. I've planted lots of seeds, too. Such fun watching them spring up.

05/05/2013 at 20:50

Hi Gardengirl, No it is arranged by the local village hortisoc... check it out via 

woodgreenvillagenews.org.uk       for further info, and the opening of the Hale gardens on 12th. May.

If you are at a loose end on Monday, tomorrow, and you are in Hampshire, you could do worse than go to the Heritage Plant fair at Longstock, the John Lewis Nursery near Stockbridge... lots of excellent nurseries represented selling good quality and interesting plants. I always go if I can.

05/05/2013 at 20:57

Hollie hock will have to take a photo and post on here of the false sunflower, well I guess you could give a bit of it the Chelsea chop to make some bits flower later if that works.

The timelapse camera is from the RSPB website, I set it to take photos every minute of my bird feeders to see what is eating from them - few birds think some are finches - will post pic - later black bird, pigeon as well. The camera can be set on 10 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min.10 min, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, 3 hours, 6 hours and 1 day and videos  can be done as well - will have to play around a bit more with it I think

05/05/2013 at 21:17

Sounds good fun Gardengirl,

I like photography was it expensive? Not thought about cutting back some stems to get a later flowering, it's defintaley going to be a larger plant this year than last....in some ways don't mind as it fills a gap. There is definatley enough of it to give it a go

05/05/2013 at 21:27

Thanks hollie!

Camera sounds great GardenG-look forward to seeing the pix.

Recording 'Endeavour' archiepem as I'm watching 'Seabiscuit'. Hope your dinner was good!

05/05/2013 at 21:28

Was a lot of money here the website http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/time-lapse-camera.html and also had to buy memory card and batteries separately but the camera is quite large but worth the money I think and the memory card you can keep re-using once on the computer

05/05/2013 at 21:43

Do you use rechargeable batteries Ggirl? I do for my digital camera as they drain so quickly. The memory cards are vital I reckon