London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
81 to 100 of 4,248 messages
08/04/2013 at 00:05

Lovely day today. Rotavated veg garden - the bit I hadn't done already. Planted potatoes and lettuces. Broad beans just coming up, mange tout peas and onion sets growing. OH mowed lawns. Dug a bit more of the new bed. Planted some poppies that I bought as plugs last autumn. Now it's bedtime. Goodnight all

08/04/2013 at 09:50

Pentille, that's a lovely idea to get all these pots back into circulation. My Village Parish council in their infinite wisdom sold off our allotments some time ago ( I think it was before I arrived 13 years ago) and put the money on deposit where no doubt it is now losing value hand over fist

However you have got me thinking about alternative ways and means.  mmmmmmmmm.......(that's the sound of me tthinking)

08/04/2013 at 17:51

I was last on this morning ...let me be first tonight. Weather is still underwhelming so among other things went to local Garden Centre, where I bumped into village friends who treated me to coffee and chat. Lovely to see them and have some quality time to discuss gardening stuff. 

Came home and sorted out greenhouse, moving some hardier souls outside as no frosts expected for a while . Potted up some new alpines for alpine display. Watered, especially tubs outside as i doubt the rain due tomorrow will do a great deal of good. Flask of tea and radio to keep me company.

Gentlemen's Society dinner in Village pub this evening to look forward too, as well as all your new posts over the next few hours.

I shan't risk saying anything about Margaret Thatcher...perhaps someone will start a separate thread to contain all the gushing sycophancy or vitriolic ire, according to your point of view. 

Have a good evening everyone.

08/04/2013 at 18:12
Enjoy your dinner woody.
Good evening FORKERS.
I'm sure woody will bring back some tasty morsels in a doggy bag or us all
You like your alpines then? Maybe start a thread about them...love to know more
08/04/2013 at 18:19

Hi there Brumbull.

08/04/2013 at 18:24
Good evening mr Brumbull
And welcome
08/04/2013 at 18:30

Evening Brum. Lovely to be here with you all.

08/04/2013 at 18:31

Thanks Verdun,...My second most favourite garden experience ever is the Alpine House at Wisley ( First is Christopher LLoyd's garden at Great Dixter,together with anything written by him) So, when I put up my new greenhouse last year I installed some of the staging with trays so that i can set small alpines in pots into the sand. This gives you control over the display as you can move plants in and out as you wish. The easy bit is buying lovely small plants/pots such as minature narcissi, tulips, sedums, saxifrage, iris, ipheon. The difficult bit will be looking after them to ensure they do well in subsequent years. That's where I have a lot to learn. I have joined the local Alpine Garden Soc. and they have been brilliant in helping advise me and a great source of fantastic plantlets.

I also see this as my opportunity to downsize my gardening as and when my house and garden get too much to look after I shall trade down to an alpine house only and spend all my days in there, gardening in minature and listening to Test Match special. I always was a long term planner!!

08/04/2013 at 18:32

Great to see you back Brumbull as your posts of your experience for us newbie's is un valuable in my eyes more so me as my fav's are Fuchsia.s now get posting classroom open again teacher .

08/04/2013 at 18:53

WW-I admire Christopher LLoyd too -he just seemed to do his own thing and stuck 2 fingers up at the establishment with a twinkle in his eye. An alpine house and test match special...sounds pretty fine to me. I know-I'm a girl and Scottish-we're not meant to like cricket but it was my Dad's passion and it rubbed off although I don't really listen now. I used to love Brian Johnson. I bought some pulsatillas yesterday and I think I could get a bit of a passion for them.

08/04/2013 at 18:59

Oh,sorry, Just realised there was an evening Forkers. 

08/04/2013 at 19:03

It takes a smart cookie to negotiate the chat threads now, but it is great to be able to participate in so many conversations at once!

08/04/2013 at 19:04
Pottie Pam wrote (see)

Oh,sorry, Just realised there was an evening Forkers. 

Pam-keep up!!!!

08/04/2013 at 19:06

Evening all. Got some pots to put Lily bulbs in. Also manure, compost plant food and Vine weevle stuff. Couldn't resist some Primula Suzette which have beautiful frilly blooms. They were half price so really I saved some money.

08/04/2013 at 19:07

Fairy girl, we clearly have lots in common. I like Pulsatillas too, also known as the Pasque Flower i.e. Easter flower. Combination of early Easter, and cold weather, and "climate change"means we shall have to call it the Whitsun flower instead? 

08/04/2013 at 19:10

Trawled the cheap shops again today and now have all I need to pot on my seedlings, together with some more crocosmia Lucifer, which i really love. About to start potting, so Pottie Pam will be joined by Pottie Grandma. My grandkids would agree!

08/04/2013 at 19:16

08/04/2013 at 19:17

GG I had Lucifer at last house and it was on the bank of the pond. It was really striking when it flowered as it was like a big bright beacon. Rabbit proof too!

WW- yes they're just so delicate looking aren't they? I might do them in an alpine pan on their own and let them have their 15 minutes of fame! It's good to have something at this time of year that's a bit different from the usual plants. I think I could get quite keen on them!

08/04/2013 at 19:19

Verdun, did you see my post about hellebores?  Apparently. I've been growing them for 27 years. 

Got a very important job to do - paint my nails.  Sorry chaps.

08/04/2013 at 19:34
chicky wrote (see)

Pam - but I love hydrangeas !!  Collecting them like hellebores now - I've got a blue one, and a white one, and a red one, and some pinky long flowered ones and a couple that don't grow flowers so much as footballs !

Just moved myself across - must learn to tell the time....

81 to 100 of 4,248 messages