Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

good morning everyone

flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117
I've got a day off work today yey!, thinking of trimming my conifer as its nearly 7ft, is it ok to cut it at this time of year? : )

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Depends what type of conifer it is. You can cut it now, especially as it's just before birds start to lay eggs, although with the mild weather many have started early. Check your conifer for birds nesting prior to cutting. If you have nesting birds then leave cutting till July, when most first broods will have fledged.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

As Dave has said depends which conifer and how much you are taking off. Some conifers will not regrow if you cut too far back. If you post a photo someone should be able to advise you better.

• flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

I would love to send a picture but as we got burgled a month ago and they took my camera, i cant, the conifer is dark green and smells of pine, i only want to take a foot off it image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Our birds have been nesting for a couple of weeks - the blackbird have nestlings!   I wouldn't cut a hedge or conifer back just now - and that'll give you time to beg or borrow a camera or get the insurance to cough up, then you can show us what you want to do and we can say yay or nay! 

Sorry to hear about the burglary - really horrid ((hugs)) image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Daintiness is right, if you cut back beyond the green part it will never be green again.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • flumpy1flumpy1 Posts: 3,117

Thanks Dove for your hugs, well insurance is coming through soon so i will get another one, its the sentimental things that hurt the most because you can't get them back, sorry to go on, as soon as i get my new camera i will send a pick, as for now i will wait until the birds have stopped nested, thanks everyone for your advice image

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Hi smiler 1sorry about your bad news let's hope that this low life get their comeuppance image

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

Smiler

I wouldn't worry about cutting a foot off the top of your conifers as long as you the sides and do not go in to the old wood 

Same here, hope you get over the misfortune of what happened and keep your chin up

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Karma Smiler, I am a true believer and one day the scum that burgled you will get what they deserve.  In the meantime, cyber hugs from me.

Can't offer conifer advice I'm afraid......we chopped a row of them down not long after we moved in to make room for a proper border image