London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
17 messages
06/02/2014 at 11:34

I am thinking of getting a Parfin heater for my 8 x 6 greenhouse , so anybody got any advice?

Also I wondered about electric fan heater , I do not have a plug in the greenhouse so I would have to run a cable along the floor from my garage , which I'm not very keen on

06/02/2014 at 12:03

I use paraffin and it does keep it frost free but there can be issues of condensation. I would use a thermostatic electric fa heater if electricity was available i my GH but it is 20 metres away.

06/02/2014 at 13:54

When paraffin burns it creates a lot of condensation which I found exacerbates any rot or mould problems.  I find an electric fan heater on a thermostat is best, but the electricity has to be safely installed by a qualified electrician. A fan heater keeps the atmosphere more buoyant and  it doesn't have to be on all the time., and unless theres a power cut, it doesn't run out in the middle of a frosty night.

06/02/2014 at 16:32

I have a resonably sized generator and it operates a small radiator in my allotment GH which is 12by10 no problem at all.

06/02/2014 at 18:39

I converted to electricity as paraffin is now so pricey, smells and produces so much humidity. I now have a tubular heater attached to a frost buster which kicks in when the temperature drops to about 7. The electrician said it would use about as much as a 100 watt bulb.

06/02/2014 at 19:49

Artjak

Do you have a photo of your set up please also how long and what wattage is you heater and what size is your greenhouse

06/02/2014 at 20:38

Tubular heaters are low wattage and they are available with thermostatic control:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tubular-heater/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=tubular%20heater&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atubular%20heater

06/02/2014 at 23:09

When I resided amongst the 'Employed'  The greenhouses consisted of two 75x 8-10ft  Timber framed, part boarded to stagging height.  Fortunately the heating was by gas fired hot water system.  Thankfully I was not the bill payer.  The MOD picked up the tab.

Then upon forced early retirement.  I bought a second hand Halls cedar wood greenhouse, boarded to stage height.  I think it is about 12x8 or 13x10  I used an Etex twin para heater.  Very economical, but even thogh I kept it in tip top codition, as others have commented, some fumes remained.  Especially on windy nights etc, when the outside wind/air pressure forced the internal air to stay put.  I then bought a propane gas heater.  Very good but costly.  It fired up each time the thermostat clicked on.  It had very little use.  In fact, it's standing idle in my loft.  VGC.  anyone interested.  Like most things.  Costs have gone through the roof.  Actually the cheapest and most controllable source is electric.   I am contemplating upon buying a fan return induction unit.  Take a look on the net.  It's called.  Elecktrotherm.  It's German. costing around £200.00

Then on the other hand.  I I sincerely urge members to think hard.  Ask yourself.  Why do I want/need heating.  Check what you are growing.  In all honesty.  Is a heated greenhouse really necessary?  For instance.  Today I took some recently purchsed Cannas etc along with seed trays, to the greenhouse.  Perhaps I should say.  Storehouse or even warehouse.  My fuchsias are doing fine, likewise the vast number of liliums.  In fact many of the lilies are already eight inches high.  Pots of hyacinths and Alstromerias are doing fine.  Alpines and geraniums all looking well.  Go on.  Have a laugh.  From somewhere or other.  A seedling Ivy leaved toadflax has taken root on the stgging.  It has grown up between the bubble plastic insulation and the outer twinwall polycarbonate of the roof.  Yes, I tugged it down.  Believe me.  I haven't watered anything for at least since before xmas.  Even the sweetpeas recently sown oin large pots, these are up and doing well.   HEAT.  What heat.  Zilch

So friends, I beg you.  This hobby/interest gardening, so much akin to other interesting pastimes.  Be cautious my friend.  At times, keeping up with the Jones and thne hobby, can cost you a fortune.

Hey friends, its great to have you all around.  Take care and keep digging.  Aussieland is down there somewhere

07/02/2014 at 08:31

Clueless, will take photo when it stops raining and post it

07/02/2014 at 12:36

thank you artjak

clueless

07/02/2014 at 14:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37164.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

The electricity comes through the studio wall here

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37165.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

travels down the wall inside the g/h here

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37166.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

and has another wire leading to frost detector here not near the heater.

07/02/2014 at 14:04

I'll show you a better pic of heater

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/37167.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

07/02/2014 at 14:09

This is for a g/h that is 6'x8'. I only had it installed in the Autumn and it has not been that cold yet, but I have a min and max thermometer (Amazon) which tells me how cold it gets at night and so far it has not dropped below 0, next year I think I will get some insulation on for the winter as well as the heater.

Hope this helps

If you have any more queries, I'm going out at 4.30 and will be seeing the electrician who installed it.

07/02/2014 at 18:34

That's very posh Artjak what length are your tube's ??

Clueless

08/02/2014 at 12:05

Clueless, the heating tube is 24" (61cm). I can't remember how much it all cost, but the electrician got it all at trade prices.

08/02/2014 at 13:19
artjak wrote (see)

The electrician said it would use about as much as a 100 watt bulb.

100W does not sound good enough. Most GH heaters tend to be 2KW. Sounds like you get away with it this year as it has barely got below 0C and that it is a lean to to a house, so gets extra temperatures, but I think if you have a 100W heater then when the temps fall below -5C then you will get frost in the GH.

08/02/2014 at 15:01

Blairs, it is a lean-to on the wall of my studio which is very rarely heated. The heater is actually120 watts and apparently is what was recommended by the electrical supply place for a 6x8 g/h. I too have my doubts, which is why, a stated above, I will be using insulation next winter

email image
17 messages