London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
22/02/2014 at 11:18

Will have an attempt at making small holes in fence as well then. Shallow wild life pond already planned

Thanks Dove

22/02/2014 at 16:06

Dove please don't laugh if this is a silly question ....but ....was Hefty in the hibernaculum when you relocated it?  I don't think I would need to move it though because it is actually quite well placed in an area that wouldn't be disturbed normally - it was in fact quite a stragetic decision he made when choosing his plot. I like the name Hefty - I think I'll call mine Herry as in the French herisson  (sp?) for hedgehog.  Thank you everyone for your lovely comments - I do find him so gorgeous I have him as my phone homepage

22/02/2014 at 16:18

Well, what happened was that we were digging the ivy roots out of the shady bank in our new garden, and Hefty was more or less tipped out of his nest - OH thought he'd trodden on him but he hadn't - I rushed and got the box and put some old tee shirts etc in to provide some sort of insulation, then picked Hefty up and popped him in and then putt the moss/grass/leaves in on top of him, then tipped it onto it's side and put it in a quiet corner with the opening facing into the fence but about 6" away from it - and we fixed a sheet of rigid plastic over the top like a lean-to as we weren't sure if we'd chosen a good spot or not, not being hedgehogs ourselves.  I wanted to make sure that snow and rain didn't get in.

OH was very sceptical about Hefty's chance of survival as he was sure he'd hurt him, but some months later in late spring, the box was empty and we started to see Hefty in the garden in the late evenings - OH was so relieved - we buy hedgehog food from the GC and put it in sheltered spots and he and other hedgehogs seem to enjoy it - and they also drink from the shallow dish of clean rainwater that I put out every evening. 

Now I know our hedgehogs' tastes better I mix the hedgehog food with chopped peanuts, sultanas, sunflower seeds, dried mealworms and chopped up banana chips ,

Here is a picture of the Hedgehog Gate we made into the next garden ....

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/38058.jpg?width=350

22/02/2014 at 19:36

23/02/2014 at 12:09

Dove that is brilliant! A hedgehog gate  

Do the cats get through as well?

Maybe I can encourage my neighbour on the fenced side to open up a gap too...

But where would I get my hedgehog? Can hardly go and nick one off the Heath!

23/02/2014 at 12:12

Lavande he's HUGE! And adorable I have hedgehog envy now....

Years ago, when I live in a council flat that had large, grassed communal garden outside the back doors, we could hear hedgehogs snuffling their way along the walls in the evening. It was such a funny sound!

23/02/2014 at 12:40
Jess is in the Garden wrote (see)

Dove that is brilliant! A hedgehog gate  

Do the cats get through as well? ........

Yes!  But they're very wary - they've heard me talking to OH about pump action waterpistols!!!

Jess is in the Garden wrote (see)

............. But where would I get my hedgehog? Can hardly go and nick one off the Heath!

Talk to your nearest Hedgehog rescue place - they're always looking for hedgehog friendly gardens for rehoming.

23/02/2014 at 17:57

Oh Dove that's so lovely - it's very own little arched gateway - I love it!  Your poor OH I can imagine how he felt but you couldn't have done more for Hefty if you'd tried.  No wonder he's applied for residency - Happy Hefty

Jess he is big and adorable.  When you see him with his little children in tow it's just the sweetest sight.... and you are right about them snuffling they really do, and they are quite noisy with it. I feel the same way about my robin and the various tit families.  When February/March comes around I really resent having to go to work.  I would happily sit in the conservatory all day watching the antics in the garden - and potter about the garden too.

Oh and thank you for the Hedgehog link too Dove - it is very helpful - I am delighted to learn that my much loved but messy garden provides a suitable environment for them

23/02/2014 at 23:40

I have some short videos of hedgehogs in my garden but they won't upload. Anyone else had success?

24/02/2014 at 01:09

I'm so jealous, Dove, Lavande and all the others with hedgehogs. Have done all I can to encourage them, and most of our fences/hedges are easily navigable for them. However, after having talked to a neighbour, another neighbour used to let his terrier kill them, and none have been seen for years. Hopefully, since the dog died last Nov, we may start to see them again. 

My elderly neighbour next door rang me late one night last summer as she had seen one in her garden. I ran out to see it, and put out food and water in a safe spot nearby, but it has not been seen since

We live in a tiny hamlet in a very rural area, so am keeping fingers and toes crossed.

I will look for a hedgehog re-homing place, Dove, and will look at those links, too.

Lavande, I have a very cheeky robin, along with all the other birds. He waits on the windowsill of my conservatory every morning for me to let the dog out and give him his mealworms. Right next to the door. He follows me around the garden, and has even come into the GH when I'm quiet. I'm hoping to get him to take the mealworms from my hand soon, he comes so close. Last yr he had a hell of a prolonged fight with an incomer, over a few days. It looked extremely vicious, but he was victorious in the end. I know he's my boy as he has a couple of white feathers under one wing, perhaps as a result of an injury. I was so pleased he won the fight. He and his mate nested in a pile of junk that was to go to the tip, and raised 2 clutches there, right next to the door of my shed! the rubbish had to stay for months until they were done! I read somewhere that they can live for 10 yrs. I have been here 4, so I hope he was young when I arrived. 

24/02/2014 at 19:35

Dove

Thanks for the link to hedgehog street - it sounds brilliant - sadly, I don't think that all our neighbours down our street would be interested - several are dog owners and don't care for their gardens at all

Couldn't find a hedgehog rehoming place near me, but shall carry on looking!

23/03/2014 at 11:29

Just to let you know that Hefty Hedgehog has woken up - he left a 'big deposit' in the garden last night - I'll put some food out in the usual places this evening 

27/03/2014 at 23:26

Oh, Great, Dove. Any chance of a pic if you see him?

28/03/2014 at 05:34

I'll do my best but he comes out quite late and you know how early I fall asleep on the sofa - we sometimes peek outside with a torch just before we go up to bed, and catch him chomping on his peanuts!

OH is a really light sleeper and sometimes complains that he has been kept awake by hedgehogs snuffling on the terrace!  

He's a really messy feeder (Hefty that is, not OH ) - he scatters bits of food all over the place - there's quite a mess out there this morning, and a 'deposit'.

Edd
28/03/2014 at 11:35

Good to see Hefty is back Dove i knew he would not be far away.

28/03/2014 at 11:57

Lovely stories and pics so though I'd join in  We get the odd hedgie in the garden, my OH loves them, but as far as I know they don't build nests (or whatever) probably because of the dogs.

Last year while walking the dogs there was a big Mr (presumably) hedgie strolling across the road, about to get squished, I quickly gave the dogs to my OH and went  onto the road, stopped the cars lollipop lady style and picked mr hedgie up and put him in a garden.  I was so pleased I had saved him, I would have been gutted if he had been squished 

30/03/2014 at 19:46

Very brave to pick him up Tracey, well done for saving him. Did it hurt?

31/03/2014 at 14:30

Hi Lizzie, no it didn't hurt at all, he didn't actually feel as prickly as I thought he would and I didn't give it a second thought....I could never see and animal squished

03/04/2014 at 01:47

Years ago, when my last dog was only very young, back in England, I was walking him late and saw a Mummy with 3 babies crossing the rd. I was amazed how big she was, and also how quickly they can move if they need to. I was scared they may curl up on the rd when they saw us then get run over, but they just scurried on. A  lovely sight. Dad brought one home that he nearly ran over when I was little, for us to see, and I was amazed that the spines were not as hard as I expected. Although it may have been young. It was certainly nowhere as big as that mum I saw so many yrs later. Mum just yelled about fleas! She was a city person!

email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages