Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hollyhocks

I have just bought a couple of good, strong lemon hollyhocks.  I love these plants - they remind me of my childhood where my parents grew them in the garden. Question is can I grow them in a large terracotta pot, tying them in against a wooden trellis that faces East but with only a small amount of sunshine due to the shade of the big house.

• Just bumping this up - would appreciate any thoughts on this please

• CharleyDCharleyD Posts: 440

Hi there

I've always thought that hollyhocks need a lot of sun.  I've just transplanted mine into a bed because I couldn't keep up with watering them in containers.  They need lots of watering and feeding.  The bed will get sun for most of the day.  Lovely flowers, with such pretty colours.  

• Yes, I always thought that they needed a lot of sun too CharleyD, but I was hoping that someone would tell me that the plants would be o.k. in the position I suggested and would also grow happily in a container! However, as I bought two of them today perhaps I could try one in this low sun position in a pot just to see whether it copes with that situation. I will water & feed it very well - so thanks for that info Charley.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I tried growing one in a pot once. It was against a wall and only got morning sun. It was pathetic so I didn't do it again.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • I will plant one in a large pot as an experiment to see how it grows before adding a couple more pots of them in a month or so. Nothing ventured..........

• I'll say yes now aym but my memory isn't what it was so ..........