London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
13 messages
06/06/2014 at 23:50

My daughter had taken me out today for a change.  Even though I was only sitting in the car, to be honest, I was so glad tgo get back home to my tiny flat and just flop out.  To be honest.  Such a nice day etc, but.  Mike was totally knackered.  This op has done more to me that I had imagined. OK, I decided to make a cuppa.  Glancing out of the kitchen window.  I noticed a long fat black thing on my newly alpine garden.  My first thoughts were.  Someones pesky dag has been in and takena dump and left it's calling card. A short wile later I looked out.  This long fat thing has now coiled itself.  I stood and watched. Then suddenly this once thought of doggy turd, started to move.  Honestly folks.  Apart from being a horticulturist I am also much inclined to natural history.  Believe me.  This is the largest slug that I have ever seen.  I am a good judgeof distance speed etc. I would say this monster was/is five to six inches long.   Black and about one point five inches in diameter.  I have seen and despatched many leopard slugs, but this one. On his own he could eat all of my garden in a couple of nights.

07/06/2014 at 00:16

I got one of those in a pot I moved but it was a sickly shade of green and yes it was hu-normous. So big and fat that I had to call my OH to look for himself. Probably the size of a sausage and it didnt shrink much when I disturbed it either.

07/06/2014 at 07:04

Wow! What a monster! Don't tell OL for goidness sake she's only just mastering dispatching the little ones bless her!

KEF
07/06/2014 at 07:14

Lot of gunk comes out of the big ones when you despatch them

Clari

07/06/2014 at 07:17

I dispatched loads yesterday as I was uncovering an area for planting. That new spade is a great weapon...

07/06/2014 at 07:18

Aaaagh!  Not a thread to read over brekkie. 

07/06/2014 at 07:20

We get huge ones like that 'pairing up' in the lawn - I leave them alone as they eat the little ones that do the real damage - don't think I'd be able to leave one on an alpine bed tho 

KEF
07/06/2014 at 07:23

Fairy I prefer my hand fork, I sneak in close and get them

Is it porridge this morning Verdun ?

One is bad enough Dove, pairing up, I don't allow that behaviour in this garden  

Lyn
07/06/2014 at 11:17

Dont the big ones do any damage, I have a pet snail, in a tank, it is about 6inches long and has a footplate the size of my hand, you want to see him eat his way through a lettuce!

07/06/2014 at 11:23

Good web page about UK slugs here:

http://www.slugoff.co.uk/slug-facts/bad-slugs

I love the name of the website!

07/06/2014 at 11:39

There's a significant amount of gunk that comes out of a 2" leopard slug when it's squished, too.

Well, it was pretty significant when it was in my sock. How that thing got into my bedroom doorway I do not know, but I do know that I was not pleased.

07/06/2014 at 11:41

Charlie

I don't mind them in the garden and will happily squash them but that's too much.

09/06/2014 at 22:34

I don't think I've ever said this of one of Mike's posts.....but wish I hadn't read it just before bed time......night all, sweet dreams 

email image
13 messages