London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
13 messages
20/09/2013 at 10:28
Morning all ,i've had some good advice on figs here and i've done loads of reading, two things im not sure of, we will have a conservatory with a radiator on normal,my fig a gift 3 months ago and is now in a 20 x20 inch pot and doing great, its 30 inches high with loads of pea size figs and some larger ones that if don't ripen i'll remove ,Now should i put it in the warm conservatory for its first winter or into an unheated greenhouse (wrapped in bubble or not) Norfolk east coast, i do realise next year into a pit Bobs ya uncle,this fig growing has really taken off iv got 7 young ones as well all looking good and figs at ten bob each here,not anymore there not Manyofem Alan
20/09/2013 at 11:32

It depends on the variety.  Brown Turkey should be OK in a cold greenhouse in Norfolk and you can give it a fleece blanket if it gets extra cold - not bubble wrap as it won't be able to breathe and will rot.

I have had one do OK outside in a deep 60cm pot but recent winters have seen us regularly going down well below the usual -15C and it has suffered so last autumn I planted it in the ground in an unheated greenhouse lined with bubble wrap for extra insulation and it still was frozen to bits.  However it has recovered well and grown plentiful new branches which I plan to train in the next couple of weeks once the bubble wrap goes back on the greenhouse walls and I've repaired the panes broken in recent storms.  I shall give it a fleece blanket too as I really want figs next year.  They are luscious.

20/09/2013 at 11:44

I know plenty of productive  Brown Turkeys who live outside all year round in Norfolk and some of them get no protection at all.  

Mine will stay outside all year round as I've nowhere to move it, and anyway, moving a full terracotta pot that size would probably do both of our backs in!  I'll bubblewrap the pot and make a fleece leanto tent for the fig and it will be fine on the terrace against the south-facing fence  - gardening fingers crossed as usual 

20/09/2013 at 12:32
hi all So do you think the conservatory will be to warm for the first winter
20/09/2013 at 13:07

I think it'll be too warm in a heated conservatory - it'll be much better off in the cold greenhouse, or keep it in a sheltered corner outside - protect the pot with bubblewrap and if it has baby figlets then fleece the tree, making sure there's room for plenty of air around it.

Do I take it you're now in Norfolk?

21/09/2013 at 10:25
Dove mi duck Hello again, At last over 3 months we are exchanging this Mon or Tues .complete by Thursday, thursday nite in the Ship Mundesley and never move again i hope, many thanks for the info on mi fig (Ferdinand she calls it,she dont know there all female yet ) and im saying nothing cheers and its raining again for a change here in little ole Tenby.
Alan4711
21/09/2013 at 10:55

Call her Ferdinande - sounds a little more 'fruity' 

Mild and dry here with sunny spells   We'll try to hang on to the fine weather for your move   Hope it all goes well.

If you two ever fancy meeting for a pint in the Ship let us know - it looks our sort of place!

21/09/2013 at 13:02
a very nice pub , really nice friendly customers and though Kate and i are not eaters outers that often cus i like to cook ,the restaurant is really good for a pub, so i will be in touch never say no to meet new people and avapint
Cheers for now ,still raining
21/09/2013 at 13:17

Sounds good.

Still quite warm here - I've been doing some digging to get the end of the veg patch ready for OH to plant some garlic tomorrow (he's at work today) but I have to keep stopping for cooling drinks 

22/09/2013 at 10:53

Hi Alan - I tried to send you a PM but it says you don't accept them.  

I know you're into fruit growing and wondered whether you would be interested in some Mara de Bois perpetual-fruiting strawberry plants as a 'Garden Warming' present - ours have done fantastically and we have far too many for our small patch 

They're the French ones recommended by Mr Don last year as having the flavour of a wild strawberry with the size of modern varieties.  The flavour is certainly lovely and we're still picking several every day. 

22/09/2013 at 20:52

Ping 

24/09/2013 at 11:36
Hi Dove ,the strawbs would be really great, right this second were waiting for the solicitors to call saying weve exchanged or not ( just the same as yesterday ) and ask for a completion date, when we have a pint you will not believe our story and the Incompetence of estate agents And ( not ours)solicitors, you could make a tv comedy about it but for it not being so funny for us, anyway iv guessed PM is pers mess,so im sorting that as my bit dont let me do things that other people on here can, B lucky Alan
24/09/2013 at 12:12
Dove Hi again ,iv tried to set to receive messages but it keeps changing even though iv saved changes ,my new and latest discussions are now saying today in the future IE at 14.50 and so on ,so as usual my g/w dont work ,no smilies and no messages,also iv been waiting for months for them to close me down so i can try and join afresh come on editor Help
email image
13 messages