Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Is this a weed?

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj578/tepeethetroll/DSCF2775_zpsmvxwnn0n.jpg

It sure looks like a weed, but I can't be sure. I never planted or seeded it and I guess it probably came in with some home brew compost I used in that area. Note that the underside of the leaf stems have spikes all along them, and I now notice that there are some spikes starting to appear on the upper side of the leaf. Another thing that is noticeable is that rainwater collects in the joint between leaf and stem and there are a number of drowned insects in these pools. Maybe the plant - whatever it is - is carnivorous?

• Sorry folks - it does not seem to want to upload the photo I took.

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698
    Not 100%, but I think it's teasel, which I wouldn't class as a weed, more a statuesque interloper.
    "What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • iceice Posts: 332

Its a teasel. Loved them as a kid. Not carnivorous as far as I'm aware and birds love the seed head, also good for dried flower arranging

• Thanks for your responses folks. Think I will leave it be then........If I can beat the birds to it, would it be worth keeping a few of the seed heads?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They're very prickly but make good little hedgehogs if you have kids

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • In my case, that would be Grandkids!image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Yes it is grows very tall, I grew some a few years ago for the birds but they wasn't interested
  • kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

I always grow a few in my garden because goldfinches love the seeds image.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The bees will love the flowers too image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.