Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Last grass mowing

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

http://www.grassclippings.co.uk/grassclippings/2008/10/when-should-you-stop-mowing-your-lawn.html

Now I've never mowed the grass beyond October mainly because we live on a clay pocket on the mostly chalk South Downs.

This article talks about mowing during the winter months to keep the garden tidy and remove surface leaves and debris.

I can't recall ever being able to mow in December/January, does anyone else do winter mowing?

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I also have to be careful because there are early aconites and crocus naturalised in the lawn and I don't want to take any early shoots off.

Although I must admit I left the grass too long last winter and as a result when the crocus came up they were largely hidden in the long grass which spoilt the effect.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It depends on the weather. A warm wet autumn makes the grass grow and it would be very long and wet by spring if left.

NB, I have meadow and grass, I wouldn't describe any of it as lawnimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I don't Lou - too wet and too cold normally for it to be doing any growing. I was hoping to get one last cut in the next week or so if it stays dry enough. Don't like cutting grass when it's wet, but the new back lawn has an area that's longer than I like.

Front's shadier, so a bit shorter, but it could take one more trim if it gets enough sun to dry it out....

yeah ....like that's gonna happen  image image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes Lou, I wouldn't be mowing after about mid December however long it grew

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I know! I am still cutting it but it's always damp now and the clay is getting a bit boggy.

The grass is still growing quite fast.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Grass keeps growing as long as the daytime temps are about 8C or above.  In a normal year our last cut is late October but the last two years we've had to cut well into November.

The main thing with lawns is to leave the grass long enough to nourish and protect the roots over winter.   I wouldn't bother about a few leaves as the worms pull them in.

Very important not to walk on grass when it's frozen as the stems will break.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

It's very wet here so last mowing is mid November, if we're lucky.

i like to keep the front roadside cut if I can as it's covered in snowdrops and if the grass is long the look is spoilt. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• If I don't cut after October it will need cutting again by December, so I give a last cut in November or even early December, then resume in March.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I usually do the last cut late October/early November but have cut in December..  It's usually early March when I start cutting again.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands