London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
08/04/2014 at 17:18

Just a general grumble rather than anything else...

Trying to source someone to mow my lawn, which is the whole of 6 feet by 4, for less than £30 has become rather fruitless. Neighbours said they knew someone who would do it for some cider and a cuppa tea, hasn't gotten in touch, the cheapest push mower I can find is over £30, and seems pointless for such a tiny lawn, and I have nowhere to store it anyway!

It seems so silly that I've gotten everything looking so nice, when I have lawn covered in daisies and dandilions, and it long and unsightly...

I've also asked on local facebook groups and freecycle!

I think I'm destined to make this trip to argos for this push mower at the end of the month and pray nobody pinches it from the front or keep it in the boot of the car!

Such as life hey?

08/04/2014 at 17:21

SPea - you'd think a neighbour would offer to cut it when they do theirs. 

That's what I'd do if I was your neighbour.

Lyn
08/04/2014 at 19:03
Fairygirl wrote (see)

SPea - you'd think a neighbour would offer to cut it when they do theirs. 

That's what I'd do if I was your neighbour.

Me too, how about buying a little strimmer.

08/04/2014 at 19:07

6x4 feet, maybe a pair of shears

08/04/2014 at 19:11

I was thinking shears too.  Or what about changing it for alternative lawn eg chamomile, thyme.

08/04/2014 at 19:12

I'd dig it up and plant flowers instead

08/04/2014 at 19:13

It wouldn't take long to cut it by hand with a pair of garden shears, if your legs and back are still of the bendy variety - I used to cut a little lawn like this - bit past it now 

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/draper-190mm-soft-grip-garden-shears/152417/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CM3TyK690b0CFWbLtAodLCoAXA

Or as I've said elsewhere, Auctioneers' Deadstock Sales can be sources of good second hand gardening equipment - and it's free entertainment and usually a cheap cuppa and a bun can be had 

08/04/2014 at 19:13

What area are you in SP?

08/04/2014 at 19:14

Good idea, not worth the hassle

You'd only need 4 3'x2' paving slabs to cover that if you want somewhere to put your chair

08/04/2014 at 19:41

I think I'd plant something else instead and not bother with the grass if it's such a tiny area. Depending on what else you already have and what style you like - you could have a trendy urban jungle, a little haven for wildlife with lots of bee and butterfly friendly plants or a geometric knot garden with box and architectural evergreens. If you still want grass - you could make some little turf topped boxes which double as seats. They can be clipped with shears.

The world's your lobster - as Del boy would say 

08/04/2014 at 19:43

What about those free wildflower seeds we all sent for the other night? 

08/04/2014 at 23:03
Unfortunately it's a rented property else I'd personally get rid of it and have some decking. If I had a "proper" lawn id invest in a mower or pay a gardener, but it really doesn't seem like it's worth the effort at the moment. The landlord wants it kept neat and tidy, which I can understand, but it's become such a hassle trying to sort it. There's a reason everyone on my street has turned their front gardens into driveways. Nobody wants a tiny, and more importantly useless lawn.

I bought some lawn shears the other day, but I think they're just for neatening edges and I got nowhere with it. They're no bigger than a large pair of scissors really. Saw some shears in homebase earlier but were ??25! Where else can I find some?

Buying second hand or from an auction was my first thought too, but now I don't have transport I'm sort of stuck. Thanks for thinking of solutions for me though guys. It was more a grumble from me though. I was walking down the drive and it's such a sight at the moment. Let's all my container gardening down.

If only I owned it I'd be down to homebase in the morning ordering myself a nice bit of decking and a lovely bench!
08/04/2014 at 23:05
@Lisa I'm in the very central of Worcester. Surrounded by flats and terraces with no gardens! I'm thinking of maybe posting on gumtree though. There might be a local odd jobs fella who'd do it for me once a month for a tenner and a beer!
08/04/2014 at 23:08
@fairygirl and Lyn

The next door neighbours said they'd put their gardener in touch but nothing yet. The problem is that there's no grass gardens at all on my road-or adjacent roads! We all have small front "gardens" that have largely been turned into driveways. The rest are right on the road with a pavement between them. City living! We don't have back gardens, the rear of the houses back onto a small access road for the binmen.
08/04/2014 at 23:47

Local auction - or local kids kids they will use there parents mower for a bit of pocket money

Lyn
09/04/2014 at 02:40

There are some very cheap shears on ebay, 5.95 post free.

09/04/2014 at 10:39

So far I've found a lady who can do it at the weekend for £10, and a lawnmower ten miles away in Malvern for £5, I've asked if she could maybe deliver for a fee or meet me at her local station. It's a small Flymo Minimo, which means nothing to me, it looks quite old though, but so long as it does my lawn once a month for a little while I'm happy!

09/04/2014 at 10:55

My thoughts are that if I was the landlord I'd think it was in my interest to provide a cheap lawnmower.  

09/04/2014 at 11:07

You'd think Dovefromabove, but this house came with nothing in it, so I don't think he'd be interested in providing anything for the outside of it! In fact in all the houses I've lived in, throughout my life, my parents rented too, they've always had to buy their own lawnmower.

09/04/2014 at 13:04

SweetPea93, head to Wilkinsons if you have one locally, they have so many  gardening tools etc right now and at really low prices. OK they're not going to be the best of the best but they'll be a fraction of the prices that you've seen so far and you'll find something that will help you for sure.

1 to 20 of 35 messages