Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Lawnmower grumbles...

Just a general grumble rather than anything else...

Trying to source someone to mow my lawn, which is the whole of 6 feet by 4, for less than £30 has become rather fruitless. Neighbours said they knew someone who would do it for some cider and a cuppa tea, hasn't gotten in touch, the cheapest push mower I can find is over £30, and seems pointless for such a tiny lawn, and I have nowhere to store it anyway!

It seems so silly that I've gotten everything looking so nice, when I have lawn covered in daisies and dandilions, and it long and unsightly...

I've also asked on local facebook groups and freecycle!

I think I'm destined to make this trip to argos for this push mower at the end of the month and pray nobody pinches it from the front or keep it in the boot of the car!

Such as life hey?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

SPea - you'd think a neighbour would offer to cut it when they do theirs. image

That's what I'd do if I was your neighbour.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Fairygirl wrote (see)

SPea - you'd think a neighbour would offer to cut it when they do theirs. image

That's what I'd do if I was your neighbour.

Me too, how about buying a little strimmer.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

6x4 feet, maybe a pair of shears

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SupernoodleSupernoodle Posts: 954

I was thinking shears too.  Or what about changing it for alternative lawn eg chamomile, thyme.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I'd dig it up and plant flowers instead

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

It wouldn't take long to cut it by hand with a pair of garden shears, if your legs and back are still of the bendy variety - I used to cut a little lawn like this - bit past it now image

http://www.tooled-up.com/product/draper-190mm-soft-grip-garden-shears/152417/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CM3TyK690b0CFWbLtAodLCoAXA

Or as I've said elsewhere, Auctioneers' Deadstock Sales can be sources of good second hand gardening equipment - and it's free entertainment and usually a cheap cuppa and a bun can be had image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

What area are you in SP?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Good idea, not worth the hassleimage

You'd only need 4 3'x2' paving slabs to cover that if you want somewhere to put your chair

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I think I'd plant something else instead and not bother with the grass if it's such a tiny area. Depending on what else you already have and what style you like - you could have a trendy urban jungle, a little haven for wildlife with lots of bee and butterfly friendly plants or a geometric knot garden with box and architectural evergreens. If you still want grass - you could make some little turf topped boxes which double as seats. They can be clipped with shears.

The world's your lobster - as Del boy would say imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

What about those free wildflower seeds we all sent for the other night? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.