London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
21 to 24 of 24 messages
29/03/2014 at 20:31

Several I think, BB; what a good idea.   My friends (who have a couple of acres) have planted many, and I helped - does that count?  (I have a tiny yard.)

And another brilliant idea, AWB.  I'd like to do that....if I can find the space....  Maybe some guerrilla forestry?

29/03/2014 at 21:21

Yes, sadly  so many forest area have been destroyed across the world, for various reasons.  Most forest areas now cater for fast growing conifer types.  Here a quick profit can be made.  However as we have all seen.  Had only the trees been left, then perhaps the climate change may have been held back somewhat.

Dove.  Just for you.  I will attempt to recall something of the ancient woodlands.  Mind you.  I'm no journalist.  Times like this.  I wish I could have had a blog space on here.

Tricia 82.  Strange you mention the Hoopoe.  My eldest daughter lives in the New Forest.  Just acroos the channel from you.  She gets them in her garden at times.  Thank you for mentioning Patrick Leigh-Fermor.  I will try and track down his books.

30/03/2014 at 11:29

Mike, the New Forest is a long way from south west France!  We are quite near the Pyrenees.  The Hoopoe is a magnificent bird, but its cry "Poo, poo, poo, ...." is very annoying to my mind, so I hope your daughter doesn't get too many of them!

We had a red squirrel in our garden today.  Quite a few of them around this year - they must have liked the mild winter we had down here.

30/03/2014 at 11:33

According to Bill Oddie, the hoopoe is only seen on vicars' lawns.....

email image
21 to 24 of 24 messages