London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
16/03/2013 at 18:59
Gardening Grandma wrote (see)

He's now trying to stay awake for the England/Wales match, but was working last night so will probably fail.

Would have been hard to sleep through that game GG

16/03/2013 at 19:02

Very generous, Tina!  Didn't understand most of it, to be truthful, but it had its exciting moments. My half-Welsh grandson is living up England way but is rejoicing - secretly, I should think!

16/03/2013 at 19:56

Good evening all ,let me start by saying that have no interest in sport of any kind,I would like to start a new "Rant" at the risk of incurring the wrath of my fellow gardeners .Every time I apply to a British company for something they always look for a post code . In Ireland there are no post code's except in Dublin city where there are odd numbers on the north side of the city and even numbers on the south side.When asked for my address I will type Ireland but when the article arrives its always EIRE why is this ? , for instance will they use the English names for these countries  Spain France or Germany,or these names  Espana , La France , Deutschland .

Derek                                             

16/03/2013 at 20:02
Could be worse Derek. Could be redirected to an Indian call centre.
16/03/2013 at 20:29

I have had those . Eircom used one in Mumbai I had to insist that I talk to someone who could speak ENGLISH ,it was in the days before mobile broadband

Derek

16/03/2013 at 20:51

Perhaps Northern Ireland is as far as their horizon will go.

16/03/2013 at 21:38

Tina Turner; I spent the day cooking and filing. I must sow some seeds this week and then the accounts....

16/03/2013 at 21:56

Caz, I try to sleep through all rugby games. I can't help feeling pleased that wales won, but I have very little comprehension of what actually went on on the pitch today. I think I did sleep a bit.

Derek, I think you may have two rants going, one about automated systems and one about call centres. I completely agree with you about both.

17/03/2013 at 14:57
Can't help having another moan about the EU and politicians after reading about savers in Cyprus to be hit by a tax on their savings as a condition of a loan to the country from the EU. This tax is being imposed by outside politicians, all unelected by Cypriots, and as usual, prudent savers ( who probably just like us in the UK now earn very little interest ) are the ones to carry the can. British expats look as though they will be taxed as well, but at least our troops out there are to be looked after.

If this is to be the future in Europe, is there any point in keeping our spare cash in savings accounts - virtually no interest, and at risk of being grabbed at any time at the behest of Mrs Merkel, or some nonentity from the furthest Eastern reaches of Europe?

Safest place looks to be where my Mum and Granny kept their spare cash - under the mattress (preferably with a mousetrap nearby to trap any politicians or Jobsworths fingers! )
17/03/2013 at 15:00

Hey up Gardening Grandma I am new arrival in town can anybody join your gang my wife says I should because being a Grumpy old So and So who could cause an argument in an empty room I would fit in nicely.Dont understand what she means at all. Oh well.

17/03/2013 at 15:16

Brian, everyone is welcome on here and if you like having a good moan, then you're in the right place.  Feel free, as long as it's not about OAP's.

Dmball, heard that this morning.  Unbelievable and somewhat worrying. Whose next?  As regards the present rate of interest on savings, it is so farcical that I have decided to give away/spend the savings I have.  Not well off by any means, but really can't see the point of hanging on to it anymore.  My kids are going to love me.

17/03/2013 at 15:47

Hey up Tina Turner whats an OAP and I couldnt give a monkeys wotsit about interest rates.My moaning starts with these so called celebreties!!! then on to the experts the idiot lantern and other media outlets foist on us when we have just got out of bed.I shut off rightaway and head for my allotment.Thinking about it I suppose I am a Grumpy old begger.Cheers lass thanks for yer kind message

17/03/2013 at 16:28

Welcome, Brian.  This is the thread where you are allowed to be an MOB and enjoy it. Obviously, early morning TV gets on your nerves!

Artjak, I'm impressed by your stamina - cooking and filing and accounts and gardening. I hope you get it all done.

Dmball and Tina, I keep getting emails that tell me that the best thing to put your money into is gold and silver, which keep rising in value in these times because people are losing faith in the monetary system. I do know someone who made a lot of money by doing that at the right time. Not me, unfortunately...

17/03/2013 at 17:28

I need a "Mob rant" because I'm not being sent it anymore? Am I forgotten or do you have to rant regularly to be updated?

17/03/2013 at 17:46

I just post when I feel like it.  Don't get any notification, but if it's something you have to set up, then I'm a member of the technically afflicted club.

GG, I'm not going to have much left to invest soon. Sat  down on Friday and worked out what I have and made my decision as to what I was going to do with it.  As I keep saying, rather unkindly to my babies, I can't take it with me!  Morbid creature.

17/03/2013 at 17:49

You don't have to rant Lizzie, I don't (often) but get an e-mail for every new rant. Have you inadvertently deleted the "tick" in your settings?

17/03/2013 at 17:57

Hello Swiss Sue, I was getting regular emails then it stopped, but I haven't deleted the tick. It's happened before. The other thing that happens especially with the "weather" thread is it doesn't say "view first unread post" and there are more than 10 pages, so it's harder to get to the recent postings.

17/03/2013 at 18:14

hi all, do you pay a tax on your savings interest ,we pay 0.3%( Dirt )Direct Interest Retention Tax, on all savings regardless of what Bank , Post office , or Credit Union its in . there is also a tax called Universal Social Charge (U,S,C). this tax started of at1% 4 years ago and quickly grew to 7% this tax is on all money that's paid to you whether its a pension or wage its deducted before you P,A,Y E. or social welfare .

Derek

17/03/2013 at 18:42

Derek, I pay no tax on my interest.  If you pick the right one, interest is paid in full.  Once again, not very 'up' on these things. I get very confused with all the savings accounts there are these days.  Wish I could go back to little Post Office account days - things were so simple then. 

17/03/2013 at 18:48

The DIRT is taken from your interest before you get it

Derek