London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
21/03/2013 at 14:49

I live a mile from where I was born. When I married lived in Surrey but always felt homesick.  Silly really but just could not settle.  Have lived in present house for 47 years and have never wanted to move.  In the suburbs, but a 5 minute drive or 30 minute walk and you have open spaces, woodland and, best of all, the place I spent most of my Summer holidays when a child, paddling in the stream or swinging on a tyre hanging from a tree. Never hankered to go abroad, much to the amazement of anyone I mention it to.  Furthest I have ever been is Land's End.  I don't mind if people think we odd or tell me how much I am/have missed as I don't feel I have missed a thing.

21/03/2013 at 15:27

Tina - I understand you totally. My mum never went abroad. We have family in Vancouver, Canada (on my Dad's side) and they were always asking my parents to visit but they never did. It's a stunning place too - like Scotland but on a bigger scale! When you love where you are what else do you need? I'm lucky to have visited some beautiful places but I love my home country more and more. Maybe it's my age!

Lyn
21/03/2013 at 15:31
I love living here as well fairy girl, I can't remember when I went away on holiday last, life is one big holiday.
But, at the same time, I can see why city dwellers feel the need to get away.
21/03/2013 at 15:47

Rosa I just re read your post. I visited Malvern a very long time ago and those hills are just stunning. When you can wake up every day to a view like that you can count yourself very lucky indeed. When you're young these things don't matter but a bit of life experience makes a huge difference to your take on life. As I mentioned, I've done a lot of hillwalking and no amount of money or possessions can replace fine views. Is there anything finer than sitting in your garden on a warm day admiring a great view and listening to the birds singing?

21/03/2013 at 15:54

I sense a bit of flag waving coming on! I think we're lucky to have so much history here in Britain- whichever part we live in. Was never interested when I went to school but find it fascinating now. Age again! Anyway - must go and get some exercise then make soup. Another simple pleasure. Adios and ciao til later! I'll think of something to rant about while I'm out.

21/03/2013 at 16:03

Lizzie, we are lucky to live where we do, the seashore is minutes away in one direction and only thirty minutes the other, Whitby 50 minutes over rolling hills and moors. The other way or West Darlington 20 minutes then rolling Dales Teasdale views out to the Pennines, North, it is woodlands more dales and on up to Northumberland who could wish for more.
Well Fairy girl in my many visits to Scotland, Army and Holiday I had never made it to John O Groats so when my Daughter said they were taking me on holiday where did I want to go (expecting me to say the continent) they got a shock when I told them. They had to admit it was a wonderful holiday staying in Inverness and touring then on the banks of Loch Lomond via Fort William and Ben Nevis. Glorious weather wonderful people and scenery beyond belief.
I ask why travel outside of this wonderful Kingdom of Scotland Ireland Wales and England.

Frank.

21/03/2013 at 16:06

When we get the weather Frank - there's no place on earth to beat it! Spectacular in the snow and glorious in the sun.  I'll just go and get me saltire hoisted now!  

21/03/2013 at 18:51

Fairygirl, I can understand how your Mum felt.  I do love my home, garden and surroundings and have always been very content.  There was a time though when I had two children working abroad, one in USA and the other in Australia.  I knew then that if anything should happen to them, I would have to make the journey.  Fortunately, they both returned unscathed even though son hired a motor bike and came off doing a 'wheely'.  Had gone out to Australia on crutches, clutching x-rays of his leg for when he needed pins removed at hospital over there!  Of course, I didn't know about it until he got back home some months later when it appeared to be a huge joke.  He wasn't too old to slap!

21/03/2013 at 21:57

I agree with the sentiments about home, im from Scotland i have traveled a lot in my time from all over Europe to Africa and America, i have a sister who lives in Toronto, when i was in my twenties i went over to Toronto with a view to staying there permanently, when i got there it was a different standard of life altogether, so much higher than mine, it had everything you could wish for apart from one thing, the people, the people i loved were all back home, i knew there and then i'd never settle anywhere but Scotland, don't get me wrong i love what Scotland has to offer im only twenty minutes from loch lomond and the west highlands with beautiful mountains and lochs, but it's the people around me that make this wee bit hill and glen my home. Sorry i can't rant about call centers as Mrs Grower works in one, i constantly get stories about people who call her and the daft things they say and do usually when I'm trying to watch something on tv do you know how hard it is to look interested when you are not, please don't tell Mrs grower i said that..

Davie-S

22/03/2013 at 08:04

We spend quite a few holidays in the Malvern area and have tramped those hills many times. You have the advantage of the Malvern spring and autumn shows, which we often attend. We pay for one day there - enough to see most things. Then, every day, after a jaunt somewhere else, we go in free of charge half and hour or so before the end (cheapskates that we are) and on the last day, nab some auction bargains and pick up the plants left abandoned on the ground by traders. I've had some lovely named crocosmias that way, just a single bulb to a pot, but lots of pots. Shameless but pleasurable foraging!

22/03/2013 at 08:45

I have enjoyed these contributions and don't want to interrupt their flow so please continue with them.

With my unerring instinct for getting myself into trouble, here's a new rant. I thought of it while reading Brumbull's thread on gardening shows.

Once, when sharing my enjoyment of the Shrewsbury flower show, someone said to me, 'That's not a proper flower show. THIS [actually the Malvern Spring Show] is a proper flower show.' Conversation over and me in disgrace! There is a gardening snobbery though I, relative ignoramus that I am, do not qualify to exercise it. Of course, some garden shows are patronised by royalty and the aristocracy and also by the new aristocracy of the media world, while others are not. However, I once overheard a conversation at the Shrewsbury show (I could not help it - it was intended to be overheard) about who she knew and who had lunched at her house and admired her garden. My OH , a gentle and inoffensive man, asked her to be quiet! There's also a snobbery about which plants you grow. I haven't seen it on this forum, I hasten to add. Perhaps every human activity is prone to this from people who need to feel superior, but it seems pretty hollow to me.

22/03/2013 at 10:28

Once there was a snobbery about dahlias and they went right out of fashion. I'm glad they're back, I love them.

22/03/2013 at 11:23

GG, I too enjoy the Shrewsbury and Malvern Shows..will look out for you ...

Lizzie, me too, dalhias are stunning in their own right....

...reminds me of grandads allotment.

ahem ... I use as a filler (should I say that!)   when this pesky weather spoils my regular borders and save the tubers (as a novice said with ptide)

Ooops! this should be a rant!     erm,  no rantings to be found...I'll bow out.

22/03/2013 at 12:16

Have to agree about the snobbery thing- it's in every area of life. I'd like to think gardening folk have a different view than most but unfortunately a love of the outdoors doesn't make us immune. I felt a rant coming on earlier about people going hillwalking completely unprepared so here it is - 2 people rescued from Snowdon on news earlier. Please please please DON'T go up hills at this time of year thinking it'll be a breeze. Our rescue services must have the patience of saints. I've seen lots of daft people going up our scottish hills in jeans and no jackets etc assuming that it'll be lovely 3500 feet up just cos it's mild at the bottom. It's not. Even in July!! Right that's me off my soap box. I need a cup of tea now then I might brave the easterly wind and go to the shed for some compost and sow some seeds!

22/03/2013 at 12:47

I think the thing about Snowdon is that it has a path to the top, which makes people think 'oh well, if it's got a path it must be easy'.

But what's equally stupid is those walkers I see on the South Downs fully togged up in arctic gear with those particularly irritating double walking sticks. It can be a bit steep in places but, really, it's not the Alps!

22/03/2013 at 13:01

That made me laugh Calendula. I know what you mean about the sticks! There's a happy medium isn't there! You're right about the path thing. Nevis claims people every year sadly but the 'tourist route' is clogged in summer with the folk in ballerina shoes etc because people think it's ok. A lot of hills still have corniced snow well into late spring and early summer. I remember going up Ben Lomond once in early April,and yes, it was snowing, and meeting some people on the way up who were dressed to go for a day in a shopping centre. They're probably still there....frozen to the summit! Knowing your capabilities is the key.There's no disgrace in turning back as the hills will still be there another day.

22/03/2013 at 13:13

GG that's the way I bought my GH. Firm hadn't reached there targets for the show so end of ay on Sunday we had a real bargain

22/03/2013 at 13:42

I always have hoped that the 'stupid' walkers/climbers are duly presented with a huge bill when they are brought back to safety.

22/03/2013 at 15:38

You're so right Tina. Caught a bit of news which said another walker found them so they're bleeping lucky somebody experienced and properly kitted out found them or they'd be gonners. I just don't get it frankly. Our rescue services do a great job but people need to think before they set out. I walked Schiehallion a few years back at tail end of year and you could have stood in carpark without a jacket - different story at top with ice and sub zero temp and wind. We passed a 'daft lassie' in jeans on way up with no jacket. 

22/03/2013 at 18:58

Do they not realise they are putting others' lives at risk when being rescued.  I really cannot comprehend how they can be so thick and totally oblivious as to what the rescue services are all about which is not to help the brainless idiots. But they do because they are special people. Certainly wouldn't get me out of my armchair.