22/05/2013 at 17:55

Gilly, I think I am a pretty strong person, but some of these 'chuggers' are very intimidating and, when you refuse, become quite offensive.  The Charity they are collecting for will tell you they are all trained.  Maybe so, but they are also paid!!!  They are not actually employed by whatever Charity they are touting for but for some organisation who also takes a cut of whatever they collect or, rather, get people to sign up for. It's big business, I'm afraid.

22/05/2013 at 18:18

I tend to choose charities that work through existing agencies, such as churches and voluntary organisations, so that I know a good proportion of the money I give will reach thse who need it. I believe in giving, but not so the fat cats can have a good time, as others have said. I like small charities because  large and government run initiatives tend to waste a heck of a lot or just add to the fat cats' nice lifestyle and free jollies. Same with government aid overseas - a lot of it is diverted by the receiving governments. The real work is done, often at great sacrifice, by volunteers. Those are the people I want to fund. I love to hear of charities which give a starving family a few hens or a goat and teach them how to use them to earn their own living, or who care for the truly vulnerable. And I agree that it is a disgrace that hospices, etc, have to raise funds to ensure their own survival.

22/05/2013 at 23:59

After a diving holiday in far flung Papua New Guinea, someone pushed a note in my case while it was being taken to the airport, to ask If I could help with schooling for someone. I made some investigations when I got home and found that girls do not usually get an education in PNG , if there is a boy in the family, he will get it instead.

I found a charity called Kids alive, that 95% of money given is used for education, medicines and food.  I donate £20 a month to sponsor a girl in PNG. at Wewak For this she gets an education, a main meal each day, and medical care.

An american woman called Shirley Killoskey is an angel who is setting up a school, and an infrastructure so that the village can help themselves.  A little money to us (equivalent to 2 cappucinos a week),  can transform the life of someone with so little. 

To see a group of children share a cold can of coke , and be so happy to receive a gift of a lollipop made me ashamed that our children in Britain, have so much but are never satisfied, always wanting more.When people here talk about poverty I laugh. Poverty is having no electricity, no food but what you can catch or trade for,

no refrigeration,sanitation, fresh safe water to drink. here we seem to think that poverty is not having a wide screen tv, or a new car.

23/05/2013 at 00:08

Unfortunately, Fidgetbones, that's the way of the World isn't it.  None of us like it how it is but there is very little one can do, except help out if and where we can. I like to think that what I give actually gets to the people who need it.  In many cases, this hasn't happened and that's why I like to give to a specific cause.

23/05/2013 at 00:31

When I could afford it, I donated to Dogs' Trust.  I like that they never put a healthy dog down, whereas the RSPCA have a time limit on the length of time they keep a dog for.

I know someone who is a cat person.  All of her cats are collared and microchipped.  One went missing one day, she searched and put up posters, and someone rang and said that the RSPCA had been round, rounding up 'strays'.  She checked, and found out her cat (who was being treated for an eye infection) had been humanely destroyed the same day as it was picked up (due to the eye infection).  They hadn't even bothered checking for the microchip before destroying it, they only did it as an afterthought.  So I won't support them.  When I get another job, I will definitely start to sponsor a dog again.

KEF
23/05/2013 at 07:22

I used to work for a national charity and moved on as did most of the staff we objected to funds that were raised locally by people's kindness and sheer hard work not being spent locally, and in my view used to fund ever increasing tiers of management. I now support the independant charity for the same cause which the break away staff formed. They guarantee that all funds raised by the people of that borough will be used to support people in the borough. I will also give for national disasters but how much of your donation actual helps the needy one can only guess.

It might seem harsh but I don't give to countries who starve their own people but have money & resources for weapons...or I don't think I do. 

23/05/2013 at 10:00

If you hear a loud yell it was me, as I went to unlock the door this morning two more of those plastic bags were in the letter box that is six in four days this week.
What a waste of money for something that has almost fallen off the planet, who bothers with them now, I see the odd one around here where once most did conribute.
I fell out with Oxfam years ago when seeing their oncosts and what actually went to aid people.
Frank.

23/05/2013 at 11:06

Obviously, charities have running costs, but I quite agree with your comment about Oxfam, Frank. I support Tear Fund, which has minimal running costs, uses existing agencies overseas and makes a real difference to people's lives.

I know many people's needs are desperate, but I object to agreeing to a monthly donation to a charity and then getting a phone call asking me quite insistently to increase it. Older people are major contributors to charities and often do it at a sacrifice. I don't think this practice is ethical, especially if they have not taken acount of the age of the person they call.

23/05/2013 at 11:27

G/G, my donations are by letter, the Salvation Army come round once a year and I never refuse them. The local Hospice for adults and children is two fields away so I take it in twice a year.
Two Army charities for obvious reasons and the Air Ambulance plus a local Care Home that helped when we needed them.
As a pensioner on fixed income I give what I can afford as to phone calls and door knockers they get a polite sorry, "unless" they get stroppy, then the old RSM comes to the for and they leave chastened.
Having seen real poverty in various overseas postings I laugh at people in this country saying they are poor, they do not know what poor is, yet knowing the overseas aid goes oft astray with the people in most need getting the least I refrain from adding to the arms race which is where a lot of it goes.

Frank.

23/05/2013 at 11:41

Again, I quite agree, Frank. Private giving is on a much smaller scale than government aid, but it does a lot more good because it really goes to the point of need. I have read stories of money being given to bore wells in India for the poor and the wells were bored on the land of rich people, for example, and it seems that a lot is spent on armaments. Government aid is too often given in return for trade advantages or political alliances and can be not much more than a bribe. Right wing Americans think that supporting the poor is not a function of government and that it all should be done through charitable giving. Not sure that I agree - but they have a point when one considers the corruption involved.

23/05/2013 at 11:44

Thats what bugs me about overseas aid to India and various African countries.  If they can afford nuclear weapons, we shouldn't give them anything until they sort out their priorities. Despots in African countries line their swiss bank accounts, but the locals starve and can't have drugs for HIV.

Whilst there are a lot of people who give their time freely to charitable causes, for many it is just another business.

23/05/2013 at 11:49

There's corruption everywhere - sadly, its human nature. The old saying that 'power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely' is still true,

23/05/2013 at 12:18

I'm going to change the tone of the rant

I hate it when visiting a wc to spend time drying my hands only to find they are wet again opening the door after someone has washed but not dried their hands

23/05/2013 at 12:53

"Oh Bev" you are obviously not giving your custom to the better loos, they have dispensers for wipes to use opening the door with then a bin for the cloth outside.
Possibly more waste to upset the greens but then having to see those stupid windmills that spoil the sea view from Redcar I like to upset them.
Hygene in modern loos is none existent as a rule so the way to go is carry a pack of your own hand wipes, of course that is even more rubbish to get rid off.
Watching a woman sneeze over an open display of fancy cakes in M&S turned me off ever buying them, we can only be as clean as the next person wishes to be and seeing what can be picked up off supermarket trolley handles makes you think.
Oh well we only die once!!

Frank.

23/05/2013 at 14:36

Bev, that's an unpleasant experience and so inconsiderate. I could mention some other inconsiderate actions in public loos, but fear I would horrify people so much that they would never visit this thread again!! Suffice to say that I was with a relative in one of the aforesaid conveniences and she rinsed one hand only, briefly, under the tap, shook it a bit to dispel the water and left. My imagination boggled! Why that hand?

Well, Frank, this seems to be my day for agreeing with your every word. Mind you, I've never found any of those loos with special wipes to open the door, more's the pity! I always have a bottle of alcohol hand-cleaner in my very capacious handbag  (reminiscent of the one used by Mary Poppins).

I live in a hilly country with a lot of coastline, so those blasted windmills are often seen. They don't even produce a truly significant amount of energy. I think that, before long, all new houses will be built with those hideous contraptions on the roof. (Grovelling apology to those who already have them). We do need to find ways to produce electricity and heat, but I also think that in 20 or so years' time, people will laugh at these early attempts at producing green energy.

23/05/2013 at 14:53

Gardening Grandma, you really need to try a Kipling handbag.  You'll never go back to an ordinary bag again.  I've got the defea in several colours (bought when I was working and could afford them), they last forever, you can bung them in the washing machine and they come out new.

I have the hideous contraptions on my roof.  I'm currently watching TV (or rather the kids are, eldest is off with horrendous cough/cold) for nothing, and the washing machine is only running at half cost.  Or full cost when it clouds over and rains.  Each time I look out of the window today, it's different, either cloudless blue sky, or overcast, or tipping it down, then back to cracking t'flags!   I also get cash back from the energy company (they assume you only use 50% of what you generate, the fools!), and I get something like 23.5p per two units of energy that goes through the feed-in-tarriff meter.  Index-linked for the next 25 years, so they will pay for themselves eventually and I get free electricity to boot.

Wish the weather would make it's zarking mind up what it's about to do.  Weather is my rant for today.  And small boys with snotty noses that are too grotty to go to school, but not too grotty to fight over toys with baby sister (she usually wins, she plays dirty).

23/05/2013 at 15:48

We are at pesent fighting an aplication for 9 wind turbines on the Somerset Levels,there can be nothing worse than these intended monsters to spoil a near perfect view ,which at present allows us to see acrooss the Severn and into Wales.

We have already got a solar panel "farm"(though what it has to do with a farm I don,t know,)on the edge of the village,but this is not as bad as some of the old cottages who have sucumbed to the "hideous contraptions"on the roof.You see a charming cream cottage,roses round the door,look up and then aghh........................

23/05/2013 at 16:03

MMP, kids, don't we just love them, well i do my grandchildren, they go home again.
I do not knock the roof mounted panels although the next person knocking on my door trying to sell them could get a knock. Almost every house in Cyprus had them they get sunshine, here in the North East not a bright idea.
G/G in tonight's paper they have allocated £12,000,000 to start mining under the North sea, a hundred years of good coal so they say and they can recycle the CO2 back underground. We had coal mines out under the sea, Maggi closed them down and put every one to work in Fish and Chip shops until the Europeans stopped us going fishing.
We already have generating stations burning Canadian wood so using our own coal providing jobs and infrastructure sounds good to me. Of course the greens will object, it is OK to burn someone else's wood with the costs of cutting shredding shipping etc but using what we have plenty of "oh dear no way" and I do not hear them bleating about the open cast in the area.
I am afraid folks you need expendable money to get the best loos and I was castigated roundly last time I mentioned having any so I did not say it.

Frank.

23/05/2013 at 17:05

Frank, with inflation it's no longer spending a penny, but spending a pound for one of those super-loos.  I must have the bladder of a camel, as I can normally wait either until I get home, or get to the nearest bhs/m&s in order to go.

The idea of taking the coal from under the sea is a good one, but to we have the skills in order to do it, or are we going to be importing miners from overseas to get at the black gold.  I would sooner have a coal fired powerstaion next door than nuclear, any day.  The politicians are too short sighted in order to have a coherent energy plan, most of them are too selfish to look beyond the next election and how they can make the most money before they get kicked out.  I reckon that all of the politicians that have to live away from 'home' ought to be housed in one of the blocks of flats in the less salubrious parts of london, they might do something about the state of them and the community then.  Also, when I say 'home', I've used the quote marks as some of them have a property in the constituency they represent, then have their home down south somewhere.  There ought to be a law to make them reside permanently where they represent, they might fight for their area a little harder then, instead of living comfortably well away from the problems they are meant to be sorting out.  Who makes the laws, though?  Judges and politicians, so there's no way that bit of common sense would go through.

23/05/2013 at 17:21

Generally all the loos round here are excellent,a lot with  those "air knife "technology hand dryers,and I don,t know of any that you have to pay for.