London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
25/05/2013 at 23:42

Sue all front engined cars have coil springs supporting the engine mount axle chassis with oil filled dampers and shock absorbers to iron out the shocks.
My contention over speed bumps is the idiots speed over them no matter what so they do not calm the people who cause most of the accidents.
The section of lane with no speed bumps but hidden camera's works, the idiots wait until they get to the speed bump area knowing there are no camera's.
As too house with garages, every house on this small estate has a long drive and a garage behind the house, I can get five cars on mine yet they still park on the road, driving away the other day I had to weave through cars all standing next to empty drives. Of course it would take a few more seconds to either reverse or drive on and off the drive.
I am going to hire a large truck and park it all day to block the road, see what they say then.
Charlie, the bulldozer has been done up here, a builder removed one from in front of his drive and won, they moved it a couple of yards when they put it back so it was not across his drive.

Frank.

26/05/2013 at 01:07

A few years ago speed bumps were called sleeping policemen.  Why can't we call them this again, then we'd be a bit less miffed when they put them in the road.

My rant it the idiots that drive everywhere at 40mph, doesn't matter where they are, you can pass them no problems in national speed limit area, then when you get to a village and slow down to 30, they catch you up, are all over your back bumper, flashing and gesturing, then when you get to the national speed limit again they're left eating your dust.  Why?  I mean, fuel is expensive, so even though my car runs on homebrew, I tend just to lift off the loud pedal when I know a village is coming up, and let it coast down to 30, then at the end of the village I'm off like a stabbed rat.  Is it too much effort just to move the foot a little?

26/05/2013 at 01:42

Oh, I didn't mean applying a bulldozer to the speed bumps. I meant applying a bulldozer to the BMW sitting on the "SCHOOL KEEP CLEAR" markings to pick up The Only Important Child On The Planet.

26/05/2013 at 09:26

I don't mind speed bumps done properly, a gentle rise up and descent. What really hacks me off are speed bumps that launch your car skywards at 5mph ground out your exhaust as your front wheels descend into the potholes on the other side. My last car I had to get an additional exhaust bracket made up to raise my exhaust just that bit higher after paying to get the middle box welded after it getting cracked from speed bumps. There is a garage in blackpool which has speed bumps if you go in from the minor road on to the forecourt. It also gets used as a shortcut due to the badly setup traffic lights between the big road and the minor road parallel to it. when traffic comes off the major road there is around 4 car lengths before reaching the traffic lights at the cross roads for the minor cross roads. normally you get a green to enter then immediately get hit by a red so only 4 cars can move at a time through the junction.  what then occurs is traffic backs up and up sometimes the main road gets partly blocked by the tail end cars which went across the junction without being able to clear the main road. It is a nightmare and needs redesigning but it has been this way for years. 

26/05/2013 at 15:26

Love them or hate speed bumps, I hate them, whether they work or not, I think not they are here to stay along with the narrowing the roads to single carriageway and those ridiculous cutting the road to one lane with huge  who has priority notices, who thought that one up.
As to tail gaters ignore them, I am not even tempted to give them the finger these days, I drive as I wish  and conclude every other road user is an idiot let them get on with it, having driven all types of vehicle on four Continents my conclusion is even the Cairo traffic is preferable to those mad women on the school run here,
I saw some horrendous driving in the London school run hours so much so I would park up and go for breakfast whilst they proceeded to kill their precious bundles of joy. Anger, time issues, trying to fit too much into your day do not make good drivers just accidents.

Frank.

26/05/2013 at 20:08

Funny how driving brings out one's aggression, not sure why, but cutting a second or two off the journey becomes a priority and anybody in one's way gets a dose of aggression. Not me, of course! (That's a self-righteous smirk, there doesn't seem to be an icon for that.) I think perhaps it is boredom - people do the same journey every day, know every inch of the road and have to do something to alleviate the boredom. Now I'm old and sensible, I think everybody should slow down and drive with care, remembering that the most important people in any area are the residents. Had my share of aggression on the road when I was younger and a lot more stupid.

26/05/2013 at 21:05

Love your comments Frank. Having driven into Cairo from the Sinai Desert  - an experience everyone should have at least once in their lives - cars, lorries, buses, military vehicles,horses, pedestrians (whole families, mum,dad,and little kids )- all over the roads,absolute bedlam - I would also agree that the Mad Women of the School Run are the daftest of the lot. Most afternoons between 2.30 and 3.30 I'm indoors having a cuppa - let them fight it out on the streets - no wonder they all seem to wear Hi-viz jackets - they b....y need them!

26/05/2013 at 22:15

Is it just me? I'm watching the news and the main story is coverage of the family of the murdered soldier visiting the 'site'. Do the press, tv and media in general, think it's appropriate or necessary for the general public to gawp at these poor souls who are desperately trying to cope with, and understand, their loss.  Coverage of the incident etc - yes - of course I understand that, but  close ups of the card on a bunch of flowers from his little boy, cameras on his young sister collapsing. What the h*** is that all about? Have they no idea any more of common decency.

Sorry, but I find it highly offensive.

26/05/2013 at 23:53

Pentille Driving in Cairo was an experience Apart from the locals not quite sure which side of the road they should drive on, the overloaded horse carts with poor old nags with no MOT and that was only the drivers, the horses were something else, the beauty being I was in a military vehicle with huge bull bars, they got out of my way.

My rant today concerns Chelsea. I watched hours of it in the hope of seeing some of the other gold medal winners instead of the same dozen over and over again. Allan would do some then Joe would do them again then we got a couple of "err" Celebrities?? is that the correct word I ask? who did it all again. 92 Gold medals and we saw only a few. I managed last night Saturday but not tonight knowing it would be more of the same.
BBC The show is CHELSEA FLOWER SHOW not the Allan Joe and Nicki show, we want to see gardens flowers plants and some of the side tents with the latest gardening gear not b@#@#@ presenters flouncing and preening round looking smug.
We have more garden shows to come so more gardens less presenters please, please, pretty please.

Frank.

26/05/2013 at 23:58

I understand how you feel FG.  I, too, find it somewhat macabre.  What has taken place has affected me deeply as it has so many others. Personally, I think that should have taken place privately.  We should not have been privy to their distress.   I turned off almost immediately. But that's what the media are all about these days isn't it.  Sensationalism.  I'm sad also that my daughter made sure her children did not see what took place yet the next day at school lots of kids were talking about it and recounting the horror.  What is wrong with parents these days?  Shouldn't they be shielding their children from such scenes.  They are primary school children by the way.

I am not going to apologise for my feelings and you shouldn't either.

27/05/2013 at 01:54

I must be odd.  I'm one of the only people in the village that walks their children to school.  I'm a great believer in exercise being good for you, and it gets them alert for the start of the school day.  However, when I cross the road, I'm taking my life into my hands with all of the parents eager to drop off their little darlings and hot foot it off to work, or the hairdressers, or each other's houses for coffee.

I also wonder what's going on with other parents.  My son, now four and a half, is asking for a TV in this room, because his cousin has one (his cousin is six months older than my son).  He also has pirates of the carribean toys, it's one of his favourite films (his cousin's not his - I won't let him watch it).  It's a certificate 15, if I remember correctly.  If I were one of the parents, I would be taking my child the long way around, so they didn't get to see any of the carnage - after all the good the headmaster did by 'locking down' the school, to have the fool parents undo it all.

You should have to pass a common sense test to be allowed to procreate.  Trouble is, all the stupid people breed like rabbits (as they get more benefits with each child they have), and the folks that try and have a bit of stability in their lives before having kids, find they can't afford them as they're paying for everyone else's children.

So I am a mean mummy, as I won't allow my son to have a TV or DVD player in his room, and will only let him use the Cbeebies website under close supervision.  God alone knows when peer pressure will start him lobbying for computer games based on World War 2, I totally disagree with those, until the kids know a bit of the history and can appreciate the total carnage that war causes, and can name some of the major battles, and give a brief synopsis of when and where and why, no war games.

When I was working, before I had kids, I asked some of my workmates (all similar age to myself, maybe a bit younger) when they thought the battle of Britain took place.  Consensus of opinon was 1066, they were amazed to find that was the Battle of Hastings, and that the Battle of Britain was 1940.

No wonder kids aren't proud of their heritage, no-one tells them about it.

27/05/2013 at 10:56

MMP, you are between the rock and the hard place when it comes to technology, my grandchildren had to grow a bit before they got TV in their rooms and at the same time they had to play sport go swimming and still do they love it. Of course they had mad aunts and uncles to take them to all those things and most weeks have a sleep out at one of them, that way you tend to get rounded children who can hold their own in most situations.
They had laptops or computers from being able to crawl as it is technology they will need to compete in life and at twelve and eight can fix my laptop for me in the blink of an eye. What do we do? somethings they must have other things they should be kept away from and anything war game is one of those things including those crash bang thank you ma'am films all the rage at the moment on TV and Cinema.
They carry phones for safety and can use them better than me, they have Ipods and other things although they play out in the gardens when possible, it is a bit of everything for them, Camping holidays with the Caravan sees them out in the open climbing or walking and gardening with granddad, they love eating the stuff we grow, a carrot washed off with the hose pipe tastes much better to them.
You are obviously a good mother the problem being a balance between them not seeming to be too different to their friends yet not giving in to all demands, they do learn that not all things are available or even possible in time, five is a bit young for those things you talk about.
As to History, those of us who lived through the war years know every twist and turn they were burned into us, to the modern kids it is old hat and those who do study it always come up with things we should have done better? yes well they were not there.

Frank.

27/05/2013 at 11:18

No you are not being a mean mummy, i totally agree with you. When my daughter was ar first school think she was about 6. She came home from school one day very upset she finally told me what it was about the other girls in her class had been playing drug dealers in the play ground. I spoke to the the mums concerned and all they said was oh yes the girls had watched ot on The Bill last night and what was i worrying about. I hit the roof couldnt believe what i was hearing. What planet are these people on our children are children for such a short time let them enjoy playing.

27/05/2013 at 12:26

The thing with all this emphasis on electronic things, too, is that they don't get the reading habit. This is so important for their education, especially in secondary school. I taught many kids who were not fully literate because they watched screens in their leisure time and never read books. It puts them at a great disadvantage when they get to GCSE level. I don't know enough about junior schools to be able to comment on that. 

27/05/2013 at 16:05

Children are "children " for such a short period of time,the trend nowadays seems to be to let them grow up too quickly,not just in behaviour,but also in the way some of them are dressed.

I remember in my days....................

27/05/2013 at 17:27

You can remember that far back Gilly? I am happy that my daughter and SIL are old fashioned when it comes to dress attire for 10 year old grandaughter.  SIL wouldn't allow and is still resisting her having a bikini for her hols.  She always looks lovely, without having all the inappropriate styles on sale these days.  Keeps asking for her ears to be pierced, but not allowed until she's older, I'm pleased to say.

27/05/2013 at 17:52

Yep, you can buy tops for 3 year olds with 'Bitch' emblazoned in bright metallic shiny letters.  I WON'T be buying one of those, ever, and I question the mentality of parents that are happy for such young children to wear such items.

I'd love for my children to be bookworms, they both get the 'imagination library' books from the Dollywood foundation, and they are lovely books to get, and I will try to make sure they both get a book a month when that runs out (they are given one book a month, totally free, to try and encourage a love of reading until they are five).

When I was younger I used to drive my Mum to distraction, as during the summer holidays we didn't go away on holiday (at that point my Dad had a gambling addiction), I'd go to the library twice or three times a week to change my library books, I was that engrossed in what I was reading I'd not hear Mum calling me for dinner or tea.  Sometimes back via the post office for a quarter of something nice if pocket money permitted (sometimes my big brother would give me 50p out of his wages for going and buying a huge list of chocolate and sweeties for him on pay day).  I could get a packet of crisps, a quarter of dolly mixtures, a quarter of jelly babies and a bar of fry's five centres for that!!

Even now, my idea of heaven is two sound-asleep children, a bag of jelly beans or galaxy counters and something good on my kindle.  Not that it happens that often, by the time I've wrestled the eldest small child into bed (the winner by 3 falls and a submission), all I'm good for myself is sleep!

27/05/2013 at 18:56

My pet gripe are the people that dump their garden waste anywhere but in their own garden, my next door neighbour dumps his grass clippings on the estate green. Others dump their garden waste along hedge rows and it looks really messy and untidy, but of course their garden is perfect without a compost heap 

27/05/2013 at 19:59

No need for that nowadays, either, Fred, since the council recycle it via the brown bag scheme.

We've just been caravanning in Dorset on a lovely site, but the lane that provides access is literally lined with piles of horse manure. Not pleasant to drive through! Why don't the next-door stables deal with it on their own land?

KEF
27/05/2013 at 20:17

MMP, shilling pocket money every Tuesday bought me a June & Schoolfriend comic 7d and the  "new flavour " crisps, salt & vinegar at 5d, I used to crunch the crisps up and eat tiny bits so I could make them last my entire comic..Soz not a mob rant but my memory of an innocent childhood. My niece at that age had more gadgets than gadgetman, and knew the value of none.

I soooo love crisps.