London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 11°C
27/05/2013 at 20:51

Just reading the postings and stuff about technology and children.

I've a moan about social network sites, which me thinks, have a lot to answer for. Those who own these sites are making millions, yet make few, if any checks on the people who access them and in some cases, I may be very wrong, but it seems anything goes and if you act as a good parent by limiting your childs access at home, children can go and access the net on someone's mobile phone, in the library or at school!

27/05/2013 at 21:03

Really worrying,  Zoomer. I should think it is unlikely at school, unless things have changed since I retired, because pupils are supervised when using the net.

27/05/2013 at 21:11

The filters that are applied by schools and colleges are not foolproof, either.  When at college, many  moons ago, one of our cohort typed in 'sex' and 'sheep', and got a warning that his search was illegal.  So he typed in 'Sheep' and 'Sex', and got taken straight to the 'Love ewe' site.  I'll let you work out what that was about!

27/05/2013 at 22:04

GG. It is worrying isn't it.

28/05/2013 at 07:52

The internet is a wonderful, dangerous place, with every kind of extreme, good and bad. Our children are in moral danger of a kind my generation never dreamed of and we have to protect them. However, all kids get up to mischief and flout rules and as long as the example and atmosphere at home are (is?) healthy, they will probably be OK. Home is much the biggest influence on them, though they may have a horrible phase of being influenced by the wrong peer group at times. Drugs are the biggest risk because they enslave people. My DIL grew up at a posh public school where a close friend got onto drugs and ended up actually murdering someone while under the influence of drugs. Drink is an increasing problem because really young children do stupid things like fighting and procreating when drunk -  and drinnk is easy to get. I'm glad I don't have children to bring up now.  

28/05/2013 at 10:44

G/G, The worst fear is the fear of fear itself, we could wrap the kids in cotton wool and never let them out of our sight, they would become paranoid, never be streetwise and worst of all never know the excitement of adventure.
When my very quiet Granddaughter took her gap year from Uni and went round the world I was reading her computer dairy every night worried to death I need not have she had a wonderful time, came back a much more open and happy person saying she had never seen anything bad.
As an 18 year old soldier you learned that jumping at every unexpected happening did not ease anything so you pushed fear aside and got on with what you had to do.
Our children are learning from us and each other, schools are very aware of the dangers outside the schools ( mainly mad mothers dropping their kids from 4x4's into the classroom and to h@## with all others) and they do teach the children what to watch out for.
It was always so, we may think we had a safer life although children did go missing and murdered, we did not have the wall to wall media back then reporting it all.
Children like adventure, they think as we all did they are fireproof it is another way of learning and we have to give them the freedom they at times crave.
It is often said and I do not know if it is true that children have most to fear from family and friends of family, how do we tell them that?

Frank.

28/05/2013 at 14:52

Just reading another thread which has prompted my moan.  It will not be shared by all, perhaps by no-one else. BBQ's. Why, when the sun comes out, so do the bl..dy BBQ's.  Yesterday afternoon/evening, all you could smell was food cooking.  Unfortunately, neighbour with yapping dog likes to do fish.  It stank the garden out.  People complain about bonfires, but I find BBQ's far, far worse.  Cannot see the point of them.

28/05/2013 at 14:59

It is a different world to the one we grew up in. My daughter now 24 is always reading there are books everywhere. She has to show me how to do things on the computor, dont know what im going to do when she leaves home. at this moment in time it doesnt look very likely so i wont worry yet.I remember as a child going out on our bikes and not coming home for hours and my parents never worried. You cant do that today.

Another moan from yesterday are neighbours children screaming their haeds off all day long. Got so fed up with it i came back indoors, shame when it was such a lovely day

28/05/2013 at 15:11

Sorry TT can,t agree about the BBQ,s we get so little sunny warm days to use the

BBQ.s and yesterday was a Bank Holiday,I can think of a lot worse smells than that o

f sausages and burgers.

Maud ....shame you felt you needed to come back indoors,were they screaming or just playing.

28/05/2013 at 15:39

Tina, don't worry, they will all end up in A&E with food poison from raw undercooked food, or stuff sat in the sun too long, I am with you on the oily smell of the things.
Cover the stuff with BBQ sauce bung it in the oven and cook it properly without upsetting the neighbours.
BBQ's are for Australia or California where it is way to hot to cook inside in fact just way too hot, had hot now prefer nice cool UK although without the stink of the BBQ.

Frank.

28/05/2013 at 15:50

Trampolines   You put up a 6 foot fence so you can have some privacy and before you know it a neighbour buys a trampoline, puts it as far away from their own house so the noise doesn`t disturb them and hey presto these little heads keep appearing above the parapet shouting hello everytime they see you.

28/05/2013 at 16:22

Oh dear Palaisglide you have obviously had a bad BBQ experience,we don,t have one very often,but the food is always cooked through,and never sits in the sun.

I think the worst oily smell is that disgusting aroma from vans selling doughnuts or donuts as they now say,That brings me to another rant,I hate the way words have become "Americanised"

28/05/2013 at 18:13

No children or grandchildren here. I'd be terrified for 18 years or more if I had any. I'd probably end up in jail for banging the school bully's head and the headmaster's head against each other in a brief 2-hour demonstration of how cool using strength to hurt weaker people isn't.

No TV in my home, let alone their hypothetical bedrooms. I remember spotting some blatant b______ on Tomorrow's World a couple of times as a kid but I'm sure we used to have really good stuff on TV like The Muppet ShowHorizon and Wildlife on One. These days? No.

4x4s at the school gates: wouldn't it be nice to be able to roll a Warrior IFV out there and just be bigger than them? Apparently if your parents can't afford to show up at the gates in a light-armoured all-terrain vehicle to pick you up you're not worth the worry and whether you get killed trying to walk to the bus stop or not is trivial. May I suggest carrying a fence-post-planting spike or extendable branch saw? It's amazing how much more careful those drivers are about their paintwork than about other people's children.

WW2 games and films: I suppose it's like sex education. You just have to pick an age and tell them all about it, simply and honestly, in one go. Otherwise you get Hollywood movie / GI Joe versions and "Unlearn, they must, unlearn," or you get ...

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2008-01-15

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2008-01-18

http://www.egscomics.com/?date=2008-01-25

We had a school trip to France aged around 10 or 11, and got to see Pegasus Bridge and ... Sword Beach, I think. It was very strange at the time to be faced with the reality, even at that remove, of the glider landings and beach landings. There was a man who'd been on the first glider down there to meet us, and he never really explicitly said that they'd just dropped into the middle of a vastly greater number of enemy soldiers with no plan on where to hide behind what, but it was implied, and there was a landing craft still on the beach, front ramp down, with no cover for anyone still on the boat and this huge, open scape between it and the remains of the fortifications, which made the Saving Private RyanThe Longest Day situation uncomfortably easy to imagine.

28/05/2013 at 18:37

Personally, with regard to barbecues, I think that if neighbours have to take in the washing or get it ruined, that is a bit antisocial. Screaming kids sre pretty irritating, too. Children can't talk quietly and adults just have to tolerate the noise. obviously, children have to play and people are entitled to cook in the garden now and again. We are caravanners and, on a campsite, people are camped pretty close together and many of them like to barbecue in the evenings. It is just something that has to be lived with. Same with trampolines. All one can hope for is that people behave with some consideration. Trouble is that as we get a little older, we like peace and quiet more and more, and we have the time to enjoy it. 

28/05/2013 at 18:48

I knew I would come under fire.   All taken in good part Gilly.

Frank, you wouldn't get food poisoning when my Daughter and SIL have a barbeque or any meal for that matter, as they cremate everything. If it's not charred, it's not ready.

I'm fortunate not to have screaming kids, although they do have a trampoline next door.  I usually end up chatting to the two lads whilst they show me all sorts of tricks they can do.  They aren't noisy so I don't mind.  Pleasant boys. But as you probably already know, it's the yapping dogs I have to contend with, one in particular.  Have just bought a new cooking timer which sounds like a rooster.  Really loud. So when I'm in the garden next and the dog starts, I'm going to set my timer off.  My daughter thinks I've lost it.

28/05/2013 at 18:53

Good idea, TT!  You can also get gadgets that send a high pitched sound inaudible to humans but irritating to dogs - we've got one we use to shut up one of our dogs when he barks.

28/05/2013 at 19:00

Hi GG. What is most annoying is that the owners are, of course, aware of the yapping but do absolutely nothing about it.  It can yap for anything up to 30 mins - on and on with me shouting to shut the bl..dy animal up.  This will be the fourth year.  Should have said something the second year, but found it a bit awkward.  Left it too long now.  Will have a look for that gadget,

28/05/2013 at 20:10

For yapping, you need a distraction, and a big shout of NO! or Quiet! at the same time.  for example, keys thrown onto concrete, pop bottle full of gravel rattled sharply, or, if you've the money and you really want them to shut the f*** up, you can get compressed air, quick blast of that onto their neck,and the command word.

It's not difficult to do, but so many dog owners can't slide into an animal's head.  You have to do something into shocking them into quiet, and use the command word at the same time.  Not easy if you aren't the owner (if the alpha male/female does it, they learn really quickly).  Taught an owner to stop her dog 'going' for other dogs in about 10 minutes (when on holiday), teach the owners and the problem's solved.  Max will only disobey and continue barking if the person at the door smells wrong (fear), the more scared they are, the more agitated he gets.  Am trying to get one of small boy's friends to not be scared of dogs any more (a GSD went for him when he was about 2), unfortunately Max is half GSD, so looks big and scary.  He might look the part, a bigger softie I've yet to meet.  I can't go anywhere, he's fallen asleep on my feet, he's that big and scary - daft and hairy more like.

28/05/2013 at 20:32

Where did you learn to train dogs, MMP?

28/05/2013 at 21:25

MMP, my daugher has trained all her dogs re barking, etc, so I know it can be done.  She used to spray water in their faces to stop them, which is what the trainer told her to do. They eventually got the message.  Were there today, along with 2 extra kids and 4 adults and not a peep. They will, of course, bark if something disturbs them, which is what you expect a dog to do.  One will bark if he sees a fox, but not constantly. It's all down to the owner.