London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21/04/2013 at 07:49

Good morning all - glorious sunshine here   -2C overnight in the garden, but the hedgehogs were about - chopped peanuts have been consumed - and green woodpeckers are yaffling close by!

Verdun, I'd not thought of that campanula - I've googled and it's very pretty - might be just what I need for a shady corner - at least I know campanulas like this garden - when we first moved here the pathways were nothing but the sprawling type of campanula and ivy - we're still fending it off as it threatens to grow everywhere - I take it Dickson's Gold is less invasive?

21/04/2013 at 07:58
Morning dove
Dicksons gold is not invasive. It's well behaved mound forming....ironically I have one next to Heuchera (obsidian). Nice as a group of 3 I think that will eventually knit together.
As always you make me aware of local wildlife....I can imagine those green woodpeckers
21/04/2013 at 07:59

Actually fairygirl there is quite a bit that wants to be in the ground, think its going to be muddy for planting today and better to do tomorrow. 

Still I think the gardening programs should be on shortly and if the hourly forecast is right. The sun is due out straight after

you never know

http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/buttevant/207650/hourly-weather-forecast/207650

21/04/2013 at 08:04
Morning everybody
Blackest rhubarb in the bathroom why?.....er no, don't explain. Ha ha
Cloudy so far but warm
21/04/2013 at 08:07

Good morning, everyone. Back from holiday, full of new facts I read up and with a ludicrous number of new seeds. It was a relief to find that all my seedlings survived and the newly planted ones have sprung up. One of my Hayloft penstemons looks as though it is struggling, though. Do you think they will replace it if it gives up?

I have lots of those little campanulas, Dove. They are as tough as old boots. I was looking at a list of other campanulas that I've planted, last night, wondering where they all are. I seem to have lost some of them altogether, including some rather nice ones. I'm going to have to find out more about what growing conditions they like.

21/04/2013 at 08:15

Morning all. Cloudy - not what was forecast!

Hope you had a good holiday GG. I had a good time in England. Bought lots of seeds too and plants, including 3 pulmonarias. They are hard to find here in the GCs, perhaps because they grow wild here. I have a shady bit for them and some hostas in my new bed. 

21/04/2013 at 08:17

Morning all just in from greenhouse singled out 40 rudbeckia cherokee sunset and 30 malva now tea and toast time. Same weather as Fairygirl will also watch the repeat gardening progs then back out got 2 tray of mixed aster to single out hope the weather gets better in the afternoon. 

21/04/2013 at 08:20
Morning gardening grandma
I love too campanula carpatica......I think Dicksons gold is same family...which are also well behaved mounds of blue or white flowers.
Pouffe too but bigger is lovely....again none of these is invasive
Some campanulas are invasive but just check those out first
Another yellow mound.....for sun....is santolina lemon fizz a slow growing santoline with yellow foliage instead of the usual grey
If your penstemon is struggling mention it to hayloft .....ASAP is best. I have always had failing plants replaced whether from GC or online.
21/04/2013 at 08:24
Andy
I'm still having breakfast. I must get outside too....dog walk first though
Busy lizzie I am fond of Pulmonarias......have some nice foliage varieties but Blue Ensign has to be the best. Gentian blue flowers for weeks. I split and either plant or pot up after flowering every year
21/04/2013 at 08:32

Verdun , south facing window and when i bought it I didn't have my topsoil or the weather. It didnt look a bad crown when i bought it with about 3 stalks now there is closer to a dozen  most having sprung up this week. Got a curry plant in there too and thats growing well too.

would you just dig holes to plant and replace the soil or should i line the hole with compost?

21/04/2013 at 08:45

Dove I think it's campanula poscharskyana that's the invasive one but it's very useful if you have an area where not much else will grow. I used it on a little bank behind a garage that was solid wet sticky yellow clay. Some of them are a bit prone to the dreaded slug but this one didn't seem to be!

GG hope you had a good time and didn't freeze or get blown away in the wind!

Still having breakfast Verd? Nearly lunchtime...

Geoff's on the  A-Z this morning!

21/04/2013 at 08:48
Hiya blackest
Rhubarb and the curry plant together indoors.......hmmmmmmm!
The better the soil the better your rhubarb.
For me. I would dig out a hole at least twice size of rhubarb crown. At the base I would add compost, manure and lightly fork/tickle it in.
With as much compost, manure as possible mix with your garden soil plus organic fertiliser....fish blood n bond....and backfill.
Water, drain water again.
Later ....few hours or couple of days....mulch with compost
Don't pick this year. Enjoy next year . ( do you know the variety?)
21/04/2013 at 08:58
Fairygirl,
Had porridge with apricots and cream and a luverly cup of tea.
Yes that campunula porshin, ported, port....potremgla.....that invasive one isn't for the average garden. I grow a variety called Birch Hybrid. It's colour is amazing and this one is only slightly invasive but easy to control. Used to sell this plant and it was so popular.
21/04/2013 at 09:02

Morning all

Glad you enjoyed your holiday GG.  I use Hayloft plants a lot, and on the couple of occasions where I have had a problem they have always been really good and replaced things.  They also helped me out last year when I had forgotten the name of a gorgeous double aster that I had bought from them a few years ago - they trawled their database of all my orders and were able to tell me (it was Marie Ballard - if anyone is interested )

Sharp frost here (I fear for my magnolias) - but sunny now.  Spending the day in a Land Rover (MMP, take note !) - the local army base opens their land twice a year for some off road fun, so we sometimes go along to put our beast through her paces.  Don't do normal offroading, having seen the mess it makes of the footpaths and bridleways round here, some of which are now impassable on foot without ropes and crampons.

21/04/2013 at 09:02

Verdun - did you used to be a nurseryman??

21/04/2013 at 09:18

Morning. Up early today to watch theA to Z. Sunny here with not a cloud in the sky. So after I wake up properly I'll be outside to start my water system.

Have a great day everyone

21/04/2013 at 09:22

My water system's already on Bev....it's called RAIN..

21/04/2013 at 10:22

Still haven't done my water system. Today, am mitching church to get sorted after hol., so I can hardly go out in the garden to play!

Not raining here, Fairygirl, but it's looking threatening. This is when I'm grateful for the covered pergola. Washing line doesn't add anything to the look of it, but it is jolly handy when rain threatens.

Dove, I started that gardening diary we were discussing some time ago. I decided in the end to use a bog notebook (er, no, a big notebook, that is not a comment on where I sit to write it!). I have written page after page, making notes on cultivation and  new information, as well as planting and flowering dates. Absolutely addictive! I feel I've taken a significant step forward in gardening know-how, too.

21/04/2013 at 10:36
Verdun wrote (see)
Hiya blackest
Rhubarb and the curry plant together indoors.......hmmmmmmm!
The better the soil the better your rhubarb.
For me. I would dig out a hole at least twice size of rhubarb crown. At the base I would add compost, manure and lightly fork/tickle it in.
With as much compost, manure as possible mix with your garden soil plus organic fertiliser....fish blood n bond....and backfill.
Water, drain water again.
Later ....few hours or couple of days....mulch with compost
Don't pick this year. Enjoy next year . ( do you know the variety?)

Its timparly early, did i spell that right, its about the only option round here. I've blood fish and bone so i will dig in to a large pot add compost and feed and mix it , add some to the hole  and hopefully it will grow away in a nice sunny corner.

21/04/2013 at 10:42

Morning

I write a diary every night if I have gardened, It's full of stuff and sometimes I just enjoy reading what has past by

Any way after sleeping first on settee until bedtime and then until the alarm went off OH has suggested I have an easier day. Didn't think I had a hard day yesterday though.

Today i am finally going to bag up potatoes - late I know. Then do some more planting

I started on my very large empty flower bed yesterday mainly because although I have not everything for it some things needed a re-pot so though they may as well go in. I have a rough plan. Maybe will do some more today

Oh and lurking in a cupboard in the garage was this. Just hope I have planted it correctly. I was amazed it had a growing sprout

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22407.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Also some glads to put in

Hope you had a good holiday GG