Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My orchid has finished flowering

I was given a beautiful Orchid in  June which  has now finished flowering. Can I get it to flower again or must I discard it? Also it appears to be planted in wood cuttings rather than compost which has been difficult to water carefully. Is this normal?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

What type of orchid is it?

A moth orchid would be treated differently to a cymbidium.

• Orchids aren't planted in compost they don't like being too wet or their roots left in water. I have four that I have had for some time and they flower again and again. Sometimes there is quite a gap in between. You need to trim down the flower stem down to one of nodules onthe upright part. Then new growth will appear. Also from time to time new stems appear and so more flowers on one plant. Be patient and you will have more flowers. When watering try not to get the centre part of the leaves too wet and don't let the pot sit in water. Also occasionally gently wipe the leaves with a damp cloth. Hope this makes sense image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

That has helped me too star gaze lilly as I was also given a moth orchid as a gift in May this year and it has now finished flowering.  Someone told me to neglect them but it is very difficult to tell if they need water as mine is in wood chips the same as daydaisy.  

• I think all orchids are I wood chip type stuff (for want of a better word lol) I have never seen them in any thing else. They like their roots not tightly packed. Don't worry if you don't  get flowers for some time, they will come back eventually.  They also like the light but not in direct hot sun light. I am sure there is something on the web for more information.  But hope this helps. They are my favorite indoor plant.image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I have a few, so that i can put the ones that have just flowered on an out of the way windowsill whilst i wait for them to make new flowers, and have the ones in flower on show.  They can take 6 months between flowerings.  They like light but not direct - mine are on north and west facing sills.  Only water them about once a fortnight.

Thanks chi

cky.  About how much water would you give it - would an egg cupfull be enough or too much.  Sorry about all the questions but as mine was a gift I don't want to lose it and it is also very beautiful. Pic attached when it was in flower.

Sorry chicky - your name got split in half.

• Lovely colour  forester2. Once a fortnight is what I do too. I don't really measure how much, I just water quite well but don't let it stand in water

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Moth orchid. I stand the whole pot in rain water for five minutes , then let it drain. I do that once a week.  Baby bio do an orchid feed , you can add a drop or two to it once a week.

Thanks fidgetbones & star gaze lily and everyone else - really helpful.