London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
13 messages
16/03/2014 at 18:48
Hi everyone, need advice on growing Cauliflowers for the first time please? I am planning to Lime my plot, to grow Cabbages, will this affect me growing Caulifowers? Connie
16/03/2014 at 19:01

They're members of the brassica family so treat the soil as you would for your cabbages, liming the plot also helps control clubroot.

16/03/2014 at 19:06

Lots of feeding Connie!  I have a gardeners' encyclopedia which describes them as 'gross feeders' which sounds like something from one of those articles about how the nation is becoming obese!! 

16/03/2014 at 19:30

Cauliflowers are one of the hardest veg to grow well, so don't be too downhearted if some of them don't produce good heads.  Transplant the young plants to their final positions when they have 5 true leaves, give them plenty of space  and bury them up to the lowest leaf, firming the ground well around the roots and stem.  Adding fish, blood and bone to the soil at planting time will help, after which they need plenty of nitrogen, so regular feeding with home made nettle tea will really help, too.  Don't forget to fleece or net them to prevent the cabbage white butterfly.  Good luck!

16/03/2014 at 19:36

Yes - nettle tea does the trick!

16/03/2014 at 21:26

If I may?  As already mentioned.  Caulies are about the hardest of this family to grow, well to grow to the point of finally getting a good harvest.  We all wish to attain perfectio for our efforts, but in this field, might I suggest.  Until you have trialed your expertise for a while.  Be patient with perhaps a smaller head, rather than plumping for a head of show quality.  Believe me, each will reward you.  one point I learned from my dad.  Who was just an ordinary guy with a plot.  Make use of those long leaves.  Fold them over to protect the head.

16/03/2014 at 21:39

Start Cauliflower's in pots in the greenhouse from seeds when they are big enough put them in individual pots harden them off then plant them outside lots of compost and water them regularly 

17/03/2014 at 20:54
Thanks again guys (& gals!) for all your great advice, now i finally have my greenhouse up, i will get planting
17/03/2014 at 21:00
Hi Bob, just re read your reply, if i have already limed my soil to plant Cauliflowers
can i feed with fish blood & bone aswell? i am a bit frightened of over doing it! Connie
17/03/2014 at 21:31

Hi connie, Yes, it'll be fine.  FB&B is a gentle slow-release fertiliser and won't react badly with the lime, which lowers acidity (this helps to release nutrients in acid soil) and helps prevent club-root disease.  Hopefully you put the lime down in the winter?

18/03/2014 at 18:32

No Bob, I didn't we spent all Winter clearing the plot of weeds, it has been left for two years unused so, only found out recently about Limeing when i saw another Gentleman using it on his plot, so is it too late to do it? Connie

18/03/2014 at 18:36

A lot of gardeners manure the plot in the autumn and lime it in the spring so there should be no problem with liming it now. They dont advise doing both together as they can counteract each other.

18/03/2014 at 23:05
ok, thanks for makSrogging that clearer for me, connie
email image
13 messages