London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
3 messages
13/07/2014 at 22:30

Hello,

I bought a multi-pack of seeds from Poundland last year because I wanted the different basil varieties in the pack. I ignored the tomatoes until I had extra room this year, when I decided to grow some in pots (following the "little soil, regular liquid feed" technique featured on the "Gardener's Wold" program). The packet gave no information other than "Tomato Cerise: The smallest variety", with a picture of a cherry tomatoes, which made me think they were going to be dwarf plants.

They are now about 4' tall and growing like crazy, clearly NOT dwarf! It is worth noting that I had a fantastic rate of germination, and that all of the seedlings have been strong and healthy from day one. Hooray for £1 seeds! I've been feeding at least once a week with tomato specific feed and have little green tomatoes starting to swell on the plants.

My problem is that I have no idea what sort they are. They do seem to be cherry tomatoes, but I don't know if they are vine/cordon, or bush. This is a problem because I had been treating them as cordon and pinching out the side shoots (per the instructions in June's magazine), but now I'm worried they might actually be bush plants and I might be killing off fruiting side shoots. I missed one shoot and it seems to have buds developing on it.

Please let me know what you think, and feel free to offer any advice. There are FOUR plants in this pot (I know that is crowded, but I thought they were going to be dwarf/basket plants). They started to teeter in the pot so I put up some supports, but I think they would be able to support themselves fairly well if not in pots.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/52423.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

14/07/2014 at 01:15
Small tomatoes grow on normal sized plants, not dwarf.

Look like cordon tomatoes to me. Can you not put them in a much bigger pot if you decide it is too late to split them up.
14/07/2014 at 07:47

Hello Amy. Cerise is French for cherry. So you may just have a packet of French cherry tomatoes. So they are probably cordon. Which is another French word! 

email image
3 messages