London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
21/06/2014 at 12:19

I make nettle feed every year which I mainly use to feed my pots on the patio. Can I use it on runner beans too and other vegetables?

21/06/2014 at 13:20

Yes lindylou!

21/06/2014 at 14:02
Hi Lindylou I'm totally with you on using homegrown organic plant food. You can't beat free !

I think I am right in saying that nettle feed is high in nitrogen, it promotes leafy growth. For flowers and fruit a similar comfrey feed is better as its high in potash. Which supports flower and fruit development. I'm getting towards the end of using my nettle feed and beginning to phase in the comfrey feed. I'm still using nettle on my young sweet corn plants and brassicas, it also good for young dahlias to put on top growth. I'm phasing in the comfrey feed for the tomatoes, peppers, beans, squashes etc.
if you haven't got any comfrey in your garden. Ask around your neighbours or have a look on waste land. I find both effective feeds. Good luck and look forward to others feed back.
21/06/2014 at 14:44

Hi thanks for your responses.   That is what I was thinking - about the leafy growth rather than promoting the fruit production.  Am now on the look out for comfrey

21/06/2014 at 15:03

Comfrey feed is fantastic stuff!  I only use that and fish, blood and bone in my garden and greenhouse and everything does well.  Be careful where you plant the comfrey though as it is difficult to remove once you have it!  An out of the way bit of ground where not much else will grow won't bother it.  Look at buying a potted plant or root cuttings of comfrey "Bocking 14" as that is sterile so won't seed itself everywhere.  

22/06/2014 at 00:17

Does nettle feed smell to high heaven or did I do something wrong?

22/06/2014 at 00:23

It does smell like cow manure stinky, I have put mine in 2ltr drink bottles to keep them lasting well and to keep smell away, you not done anything wrong 

22/06/2014 at 00:54

Give me cow manure anyday this stuff is terible. What can I put it on and do I have to dilute it.

22/06/2014 at 02:43
I know what you mean the smell is awful ! After the nettle leaves have been stewing for 3 weeks or so, remove them. Then the smell isn't quite as bad. I dilute 10 to 1, 1 part nettle feed and 10 parts water. As for what to put it on, anything to bring on the leafy growth. I planted out 6 melon seedlings / small plants about 10 days a go, in that time they've had three feeds and virtually tripled in size. Hope that helps Happy feeding !
22/06/2014 at 07:27

This is probably a really silly question, but I'll ask it anyway!  If it's good for leaf growth can you use it on lettuce? Our lettuce is growing well at the moment but I'm wondering if the ground nutrients will wane when we plant lettuce to replace the current ones as we eat them?

22/06/2014 at 07:55

Yes, it would be just what is needed for lettuce 

22/06/2014 at 09:48
Yes of course the lettuces ! I forgot I use it on those too ! Oh and the spinach.
22/06/2014 at 09:56
I vaguely remember reading somewhere that there is a waterless method of making comfrey and nettle feed, which doesn't smell as bad. You had to dilute it even more as it is so strong. Has anyone tried this method or have I dreamt it?
22/06/2014 at 10:11
Hi Chrissie No not heard of that, would be interested to find out more. I think I heard that if you compost the nettles and / or comfrey after soaking it makes great seed compost. Although I'm not that organised and they just go in the general compost heap !
22/06/2014 at 10:25
Must google it. Have also heard that you can make a good anti aphid spray from rhubarb leaves so want to investigate that as well.

Will post if I find anything : )
22/06/2014 at 10:36
That sounds good - the anti aphid spray. I've got a bad black fly problem on my broad beans. Do you think it would work on them ? Although not got any rhubarb growing yet ! Could probably source some though. Great tip thanks !
22/06/2014 at 14:06

Ooh rhubarb aphid spray sounds good.  Not heard of that before.

22/06/2014 at 14:39
Wil refind the recipe for the rhubarb spray and post it up later
22/06/2014 at 14:47

Thanks chrissie 

22/06/2014 at 14:52
That's great thanks ! I had decided to really put my back into tackling the weeds in the veg plot today. But it's just too hot ( at least 30 degrees here today ) got some hoeing done and watering of course. But taking shelter in the shade and back on the forum. Does the addiction to this forum have side effects ? Is there any treatment if it gets out of hand ?
1 to 20 of 22 messages