London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
28/08/2013 at 08:57

Just aquired an allotment, well more of a small plot really and haven't grown much veg before although I love my plants. What veg can I plant now? I would appreciate any other tips about starting a new plot.

28/08/2013 at 09:05

Get some good manure through it to enrich the soil. We have just planted winter lettuce but I'm afraid that's all I can offer I'm sure others will give you a wealth of ideas

28/08/2013 at 11:52

Thanks for the tip Stacey.

28/08/2013 at 12:58

I too have just taken over a plot (in my new garden so I have taken my name is off of the waiting list ).  I don't plan to put much in for the rest of the year but will probably get some broad beans and shallots in later in the year for crops next year.  You can still get some plug plants in some of the garden centres for winter veg but I would think it's getting little late for sowing anything ... someone correct me if I'm wrong please.  I'm focusing on preparing the site so I can get the best out of it in the long run.

28/08/2013 at 17:35
LIL you are dead right , get the plot clean and tidy ,will you need a shed ,plan what grows best in that area,raised beds or not, what soil have you got, what veg can you grow that costs most to buy in the shops, go to the charity shops they're full of good gardening books very cheap, and dont rush to plant too soon ,and enjoy ,have you got a kettle!!! most important we think and plan best sitting and looking at the allotments we have get the feel of it, And get on with your neighboring allotmenteers your going to need them sooner or later i promise you ASK and ASK its all free, we started with winter approaching and planned for the coming season that worked well ,, good luck Alan
29/08/2013 at 09:36
2 things i forgot ,as Stacy says a good load of manure left on top the worms will do the rest and if poss have some left over just rotting away for later thats what we did,nt do but will on the next allotment, also go round the allotment and see who has the best one , he or she is the one to get to know ,gardeners love to be told there garden/allotment is looking good and love giving advice when asked , starting is so exciting and were moving very soon and already have an allotment waiting and like you starting again,oh and also you might want to know if anything has been planted last or this year because of crop rotation were going to have to do it again like you,,cant wait,
Alan
email image
6 messages