London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
6 messages
08/12/2013 at 20:47

hi after events across the country this week and in north Norfolk can anyone give me some advices about lawns and beds we have had about 4ft to 6ft of sea water in places flooding of homes destroyed,now the clean up has begun what can we do to the less affected homes to give them back there gardens that took the battering over the past few days have seen some really unbelievable sites that could take months or a year or more that makes this pointless but some very lucky escapes that few hours will put right  and help rebuild these homes in the villages affected 

08/12/2013 at 22:22
today i drove to Bacton just down the coast from Mundesley where we now live ,the road was closed off but people just drove through, cars were parked everywhere and people were standing around just stunned at the sight of total devastation left by the sea, some houses that sat comfortably looking out to sea now stood dangerously close to the waves,just waiting for the next time the storms might come,,in the field over the road were scattered the personal belongings of these people some of them now in the care off loved ones , on the way home I called into the Ship ,my local and chatted to Duncan a new friend now looking after two of the unfortunate people now homeless and uninsured.
he said they were taking ,one day at a time.
08/12/2013 at 22:30
sorry being new to hereit was Wallcot next to Bacton
09/12/2013 at 08:09

Hi Alan   good to hear from you - had wondered how the move had gone.  

And Hi Del - I hadn't realised you lived not far from me as well.  

As you say, although Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex escaped lightly compared with the '53 floods, there are still some heartbreaking stories, particularly along Walcott and Hemsby way.   

My brother is a farmer in Suffolk and has a large area of land still under sea water - the likelihood is that this land will be agriculturally unviable for some years. 

If gardens were only briefly flooded by sea water and it has now retreated, the damage may not be so bad - any precious plants should be lifted, the salty washed from their leaves and roots, and they should be replanted in pots for the time being.  The effects of the salt water will eventually disperse in time.  

09/12/2013 at 08:44

morning I saw bacton and Walcott on Saturday and gave some help with clean up really hits home to you the lost that they have facing them just before xmas some of my other customers  were more lucky and just got services damage did you get any damage Alan

09/12/2013 at 09:51
del 12 wrote (see)

morning I saw bacton and Walcott on Saturday and gave some help with clean up really hits home to you the lost that they have facing them just before xmas some of my other customers  were more lucky and just got services damage did you get any damage Alan

Good for you - you're a star!!! 

email image
6 messages