Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Rugosa Roases.

I'm thinking of planting a rugosa rose in the boarder. I'm looking at height 5ish feet and width 5ish feet. Any opinions from the garden experts appreciated.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I really wouldn't use a rugosa in the border - they're really quite rampant and sucker a lot - they're usually used for hedging - very good for deterring intruders image

Why not have a look on Taylors' website and see what takes your fancy - the search facility at the side is really helpful. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Fluffy CloudFluffy Cloud Posts: 200

Ah.. thanks for your helpful comment.

Sorry, I didn't mean Taylors - they're for clematis - the one I meant was the late great Peter Beales' Classic Roses site - here's a link http://www.classicroses.co.uk/ 

Think the sun has gone to my head

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..Rugosa roses are quite thorny but just to give an alternative view, there is one suitable for your purposes, and adheres to the height and width requirements...so you might like to look up 'Roseraie de l'Hay'.... it has a long flowering season and a lovely scent... it was quite well behaved for me in my last garden...

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Hi fluffy, I even bought one! V cheap...but dove gave me same advice and was quite right, I,ve noticed a few about recently and it does look too big, certainly for my garden

Roseraie de l'Hay is undoubtedly a gorgeous thing - but David Austin gives it's size as 7ft x 7ft and the RHS says 2.5m x 2.5m after only 5 years - that will take up a lot of space in a border image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

where i was going to put rugosa i got 'harlow carr'

..pruning keeps the rose in trim, once you get to know it's capabilities in your own garden.....it also makes a fine hedge...

• Fluffy CloudFluffy Cloud Posts: 200

Salino..I've looked into roseraie de l'hay..it's a little too big 7x7ft. for the garden. I'm interested in David Austin scarbrosa 4x5ft which will fit. Another is hansa 5x4ft, hastrup 5x5ft. I'm not interested in growing as a hedge only a speciman. If this gets too big can't I get rid of some stems from the ground.

Thanks to all who have given me tips. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

..entirely up to you which one you choose, but we shouldn't worry too much about these sizes given by rose growers as they are only guides... Peter Beales for instance gives 6 x 5 foot for 'Roseraie'...as does noted rosarian Graham Thomas in his 'Rose Book'.. which also concurs with my own experience of growing it...a little narrower even if I recall.

... Scabrosa is supposed to be nice - you know it's not a David Austin bred rose..?

......I'm not sure if I've ever grown it... but it will make a big wide bush...  perhaps it lacks the grace of Roseraie...the flowers are single... but they are are very large as are the leaves...a word of warning..apparently, according to Mr Thomas, this rose is 'extra vigorous'...but that might also be appealing...but you can certainly prune..but I wouldn't want to cut off those lovely hips...

..of the others you mention 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup' is the one I would choose...it's of compact growth and the hips are a rich crimson rather than orange-red...

..regardless...enjoy your Scabrosa....best wishes...