Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sick looking Weigela

everoseveros Posts: 55

Hi everyone.  My Weigela seems to be struggling.  The leaves are looking quite pale & they seem to be falling off, although it still has plenty of red berries.  Does it need a special feed? Thanks for any help. 

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Could you show a photo, my weigela doesnt have berries, but then i prune straight after flowering.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Are you sure it's weigela we're talking about? MIne don't have berries either.

• everoseveros Posts: 55

Sorry, I've got the wrong name. Looked through my gardening book, I think it's a skimmia.  It has small white flowers in spring & red berries in winter.  Does that make more sense?

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Has it been water logged over winter? This could have caused its leaves to drop. If not, give it a good feed and mulch with organic matter.

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,102

Everos

Skimmia require an acids soil so check that you planted in right soil condition.

If it is water excess due to water logging, then dig it up and replant in fresh soil mix as the water would have flushed away a lot of its goodness

Besluckluck

• Yes, that sounds like a skimmia. I can't help you much, as our large one has a similar problem. It is huge (about 2m tall and the same across) so digging it up isn't an option. I do try to give it some ericaceous feed (for acid-loving plants) but even that is tricky when you're dealing with a large bush.

• everoseveros Posts: 55

Yes, Green Magpie, my skimmia is also large.  I don't think it's a problem with soil type as my other skimmia is quite happy, also, I have 2 large camellias growing not too far away & they are in full bloom. It could be it needs a good feed, anyway I'll give it a try.  Many thanks for everyone's help.