London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
14 messages
31/05/2014 at 18:31

Are slug pellets safe to put around your strawberry plants?, do they affect your fruit? 

31/05/2014 at 19:25

They won't affect the fruit, but the ordinary metaldehyde ones will kill things other than slugs and snails: birds that eat them, cats and dogs etc.  The safer ones contain ferric phosphate and are reckoned to be safer - they're allowed, I think, for organc growing.

31/05/2014 at 19:26

Lots of info here - I don't know if it addresses your query but it does have lots of ideas to get rid of slugs. http://www.slugoff.co.uk/killing-slugs/ 

31/05/2014 at 19:59

I would not put pellets anywhere near fruit or veg.  No point growing your own safe food if you do this.  Used sparingly and well away so no poison seeps into your crops 

31/05/2014 at 21:19

Thanks everyone lots of good advice 

31/05/2014 at 21:41

Whatever happened to those slug pellets made from sheep's wool?......'Slug Gone' or something like that.

31/05/2014 at 22:46

I was looking at those last week David, they seem to have mixed reviews so didn't get any, although I think someone mentioned them on another thread the other day.  

31/05/2014 at 23:07

PLEASE, PLEASE.  When resorting to any chemical or substance for garedn use.  PLEASE read the label.

31/05/2014 at 23:44

I've been using the slug gone/sheeps wool pellets - they seem to work on hostas and clematis - but they don't go very far

01/06/2014 at 08:19

I'm using the sheep's wool pellets around potted lilies - it seems to have stopped the damage. 

01/06/2014 at 11:48

I'll admit to using some slug pellets on the veg patch last night, a very rare last resort as new plants just planted and I forgot to do my egg shells/slug pubs and only remembered at almost midnight last night so had to take drastic measures......they will be going today and slug pubs installed....I know I'm very naughty 

01/06/2014 at 17:44

Ha ha I like the phrase "slug pub" it tickles me 

01/06/2014 at 19:54

Slug pubs now in place, let's just hoe they work, I only got cheap lager and it's not very strong so may have to get some more.

I don't seem to have many slugs this year though (touch wood) and have spotted 3 or 4 froglets or toadlets (I never could tell the difference) in the garden at night, so I think they may be helping me 

01/06/2014 at 20:27

Of course they are, I have a Jack Russell and a friendly cat alive and well, also a female hedgehog lives under the shed, though no young so far this year!

Along my back fence which is covered in ivy, the robin reared a nest this year again and the blackbirds have started building a third nest for their next brood, a pair of dunnocks and a pair of wrens also have nests but I cannot find them, if pellets were that bad they would all be dead!

As we also feed the birds, we are visited by loads of sparrows, goldies,blue and long tailed tits, a crow, sparrows and wood pigeons, the only ones the dog chases!

Unfortunately also a sparrow hawk, but the cat never bothers either with the birds or the nests, even when the young blackbirds are making a racket!

Cheers!

email image
14 messages