Start a new thread

1 to 9 of 9 replies

I disturbed two large Stag beetle larvae in the rotting trunk of an old Buddleia today. I carefully put back the piece of wood I had removed but should I do anything else? Will they be alright?  Is there anyone I should inform as I know they are an endangered species now.

nutcutlet

We find them in our woodpile if logs are rotting in there. We try and put them back as they were but in a safer place. I don't think there's anything else you need to do though a local wildlife organisation might be interested to know about them

gardenjeannie

I have never seen a real live one. You lucky people.

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

I found one in this garden when we moved here - I was so excited - replaced it carefully with it's rotting wood. 

Secret Squirrel

I never realised they were rare in the UK, I use to see them all the time in France. Mine, that was a few years ago now.

Busy-Lizzie

I live in France and I see them regularly in summer.

Secret Squirrel

Hi Lizzie, glad to see Stag Beetles are still seen in France. I used to go birdwatching quite often at a place called 'Le Brenne' in Southern France.

First time I came across one, took me by surprise, then I started to get use to them. Could never manage to pick one up though.