What does carrot fly look like?
09/05/2013 at 20:48

Hi stephaniejane, they are very small (4-5mm) and look like this:

25/10/2013 at 14:35
Plastic sheeting and canes works
25/10/2013 at 14:45

I have used insect proof netting for the past few years with great success

25/10/2013 at 17:03

I have grown my carrots in large containers for the last few years.carrot flies do not attack,if carrots are higher than 18" so  I make sure pots are taller than that,have never had any problems.

26/10/2013 at 01:18

I think I have been told having garlic nearby helps, not sure if it hides the smell or something like that. 

26/10/2013 at 01:48

This year I sprinkled chopped - up leek remnants, trimmed chive stalks, and clippings from several mint clumps, all around my three rows of carrots. Turned out to be the best carrots I've grown - hardly a sign of carrot fly on them! Carrot fly can supposedly smell carrots from a mile or more away ( not sure I believe that......? ), and yes, garlic, onions etc. are supposed to hide the carrot smell. The method I used this year cost nothing and seemed to work - give it a try next year!

12/09/2014 at 19:59
The only way I have succeeded with is by alternating carrots & onions row by row, where I have learnt that the onion fly will kill the carrot fly & vice-versus hence leaving me with good crops of both vegetables.
12/09/2014 at 20:04

I doubt if the flies kill each other: I think the idea is that the plants mask each other's smell.

Crucially, it's essential not to spread the smell, notably when thinning - the foliage is damaged and gives off the characteristic smell.  Sow thinly, thin carefully and do it on a wet day or water them all when you've finished to damp down the smell.

I grew feverfew around the edges of the carrots this year, and sprinkled chives amongst them to mask the smell.  No idea if it worked coz rabbits got the lot

24/06/2015 at 20:48

I am using nematodes this year ???? result it's too early to tell.

17/07/2015 at 18:39

You can actually see the eggs on the surface of the soil around the tops of your seedlings.What i do is take an old toothbrush & sweep the eggs away from the seedlings & destroy them. Also, another use for your old toothbrush is good for destroying blackfly rather than using your fingers.

17/07/2015 at 20:40

Charlie November that made me chuckle!!

I grow my carrots under fleece, from sowing to harvesting. every now and then I take a peep and see how they are doing, take out any weeds, but just leave them to it.

best ever! had some tonight, just as I was thinking next year I might not do any veg, getting fed up of doing it every year,but the taste!! nothing taste like home grown carrots.

why not?!!! and why not in restaurants either?!!!!

12/09/2015 at 20:43
I cover my carrots with a fleece "tent" and this seems to work. It is a bit of a nuisance when I want to crop a few carrots. When can I safely remove my tent? (That is, when do the little blighters stop flying around?)
12/09/2015 at 21:54

I now plant carrots inside a pallet collar and cover with fleece until the greenery pokes through , then remove the fleece so far it has worked fine 

the pallet collars are like what you have for a raised bed but the soil at the bottom of the bed , hope that makes sense 

tried planting with garlic and onions , works well until you harvest garlic and onions 

14/09/2015 at 15:01

I also plant my onion and carrot rows like Osckar and find that works. 

email image
15 messages