Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: A new allotment

Hi Kate well done iv had an allotment for nine years its a place where I go to loose myself and find myself at the same time its real spiritual

• Slightly connected to this, so apologies in advance.

I am trying to encourage the allotment tenants to cater for wildlife. I am not an expert so I googled wildlife audit and came across your blog from 2011. I thought I'd use your wildlife audit that was mentioned in the blog from Nov 2011 GW magazine, which I don't have. How can I get hold of a copy of the audit questionnaire please? I think it would be a good start and we can build in more detail later, as we build up the basics first.
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
    Oh, I am so happy for you, Kate. A heated propagator will get your veg plants started off and ready for your new plotThe el nino effect may just bring us a hot summer. I do hope you are near the water supply. In no time at all you will have your very own robin perching on your fork and slow worms in your compost bin.

• Thanks for your messsages. I'm so excited. Thanks Happymarion I am very near a water source but I don't yet have a watering can on site! The heated propagator was fired up about three weeks ago...

greenbeanpickle Look out for a direct message regarding your query.

Kate
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Looks like you've made a good start too.

I got a new allotment at the beginning of February. Been down each weekend. It's surprising what can be done in a few hours.

Happy growingimage

• 12 months really is a short space of time isn't it but as you say it's better than nothing and beggars can't be choosers!

You should be counting your lucky stars you don't have perennial weeds, I'm completely plagued by them on the derelict plot I was given.

Don't both doing any digging, you won't reap the benefits of it in years to come, just borrow/rent a rotatovator.

I'd just buy some fish blood and bone from the cheap discount stores and sprinkle that on the length of the plot and hoe in and then get planting.
  • Congratulations Kate I'm sure just like me you will spend Meany a happy time on your allotment .This is my 5 year I grow every thing fruit veg an flowers .4 weeks a go I put up a robins nest box that my husband had made for me an to my surprise to day I have a robin nesting in it I'm so thrilled .I have other nest boxes two which are all occupied I all so have a pond its a right little wild life Avon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I agree with scroggin.

Someone else was asking the same q the other day.  We agreed that the best thing to do was tackle a small area at a time, remove all perennial weeds by hand and hoe, hoe, hoe. Then plant spuds.  Cover the rest with old carpet/thick cardboard/thick black polythene till you're ready to give it similar treatment.

• bigal7bigal7 Posts: 9
    hi kate great news take it easy try to sort out allotment in stages potatoes will help to brake ground up best of luck
  • BillyjoBillyjo Posts: 28
    Fab and congrats on your allotment allocation, we too have just taken on an allotment , 5 min walk away despite having a 200 ft garden , my friend and I wanted one, we have already attended the local horticultural society talk on growing veg and will be taking the rotivator down today, we have inherited some Autumn raspberry canes and a water butt. I have been offered some Jerusalem artichokes too and we hope to take our preschoolers down to help out.