London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
8 messages
17/01/2014 at 17:13
I hope it stops raining soon a large hole has appeared next to my soak away,looks like a cove down there,I saw a white tailed bumblebee this week, not sure if it was a Queen,
17/01/2014 at 17:26

Hi Kate it is a funny old situation with the weather and I can report a bumblebee and a 7-spot ladybird sighting in my garden last Saturday also!

Unfortunately I'm not privileged with much in the way of flowers like you are at the moment but I think that is down to being on low grazing marsh which is pretty saturated at the moment and probably keeping plant's roots cold at this time of year.

My fish in my Koi pond are still actively seeking food when I walk out on the decking but the wildlife ponds are quiet now.

Bird wise it's been busy but not as busy as this time last year and I have also been awoken by my resident Robin on quite a few occasions recently! On the day that I did my early bird survey for the BTO he was singing an hour before daylight!! I don't mind though!...

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

18/01/2014 at 16:58
Ah, Kate. I have double daisies thinking it is summer and two fresh blackbird eggshells below my ivy thicket where the nests are last week. I have brought ten pots of bulbs into the conservatory as they are so advanced. I feel like I am doing a constant Chelsea. But the garden looks lovely when the sun does daign to shine. The winter flowering heather is a real draw for bumblebees in my front garden. It must have been a great loss to the bee population when heathers went out of fashion.
18/01/2014 at 17:51
I have just finished back filling my cave that appeared under the path,it took over half a cubic metre of material to fill the hole the rain water washed away.lets hope the weather will brighten up soon to go with the extra warmth we are having this winter.
18/01/2014 at 18:06

The plants will get a shock when the weather turns cold in a few weeks. 4 inch do snow is on the way!

regards,

Alfie

http://www.thegardeningpatch.co.uk

18/01/2014 at 18:21
Have seen Petasites in flower and new leaf on the railway embankment as well as Hazel catkins.
18/01/2014 at 18:22
Oh and my annual Lobelias have sown themselves everywhere, seedlings thriving and with the 'mother plants' still lingering.
26/01/2014 at 14:23
Yes it is still January here in Cheshire - I have seen Marigolds (the summer Old Fashioned ones)along with periwinkle in a garden near me - looks like a little bit of summer that has got lost!Very little frost here as yet but looks like next week will change all that! My bird visitors seem a little bit less than usual- perhaps they have found somewhere a bit warmer for another week or two!
email image
8 messages