15 messages
24/06/2008 at 16:28
I found a seed head at the cemetery where my Mum is buried,it had been lopped off by the mower. I would like to know what it is. The plant that it came from was about 5 feet in height and each stem reaching upwards. Each stem had a lots of little seed heads that look like conical, with the end pointing updwards. I thought it might be alium, however looking up alium seedheads, this looks a no go. It reminds me of onion seed heads. Please can someone help.
27/06/2008 at 11:35
Be careful when cutting alstromeria for display -I was badly 'burned' and in fact scarred by the sap last year and now make sure I wear gloves.
04/07/2008 at 15:07
Maggie, we'd really need to see a picture of this plant to identify it properly, so perhaps you could email a digital image.
02/08/2008 at 17:42
I purchased an Alstroemeria about 4 years ago and have had it in a pot until last year. It flowered only very poorly each year. However I planted it out last year and it has spread considerably but only had one solitary flower on it !!I am not sure of the species but it is medium heightand with a yellowish flower. I would like to know why it will not flower profusely. Can any one give me some advice please ?
29/10/2008 at 21:41
Alstroemeria are like peonies - they need time to establish as they hate root disturbance. Give it a try & leave it alone for a year - no fertiliser and see what you get. We are professional growers of alstroemeria - email us a picture of the flowers you get at metcalfesfineplants@googlemail.com & we'll try to identy the variety and come back with cultural advice. Cheers Gisela Metcalfe
19/04/2009 at 19:08
Hiya, l got some harvested alstromeria seeds and potted them up, that was about a month maybe more ago and there is no sign of a shoot yet. They are inside my garage and are warm and protected but have l planted them too late?
27/08/2009 at 14:59
I kept a very large pot of Alstroemeria over last winter, it was only a few plants that made it thru the winter, & I put it out on porch, and finally in mid Aug. it started blooming,pot is full of plants.It is beautiful, can I plant this in the ground in fall and they will come up next year?
28/08/2009 at 15:25
can you grow alstroemeria from stem cuttings
26/11/2009 at 19:45
I'm looking for alstroemeria seeds from tall cutting plants for change. I will have already some of them growing myself. Send me e-mail direct with photo. paul.vanhoovels@telenet.be
18/04/2010 at 18:21
We have got 3 peonie plants in our garden, 1 well established and flowers its' socks off every year, the other 2 have been in about 3 years and not a sign of a bud! I believe we were very careful when planting them and not planting too deeply...any suggestions? They are being watered now that the weather has warmed up.
13/06/2010 at 19:29
Hi Maggie Moo - it sounds like a Nectoscordum seedhead. The pink and green flowers droop downwards, then the conical seedheads point upwards, looking like little castles in the border. I've found it invasive but easy to remove where unwanted. Leaves very smelly when crushed.
02/08/2010 at 18:50
Hi igreen - I find that I get better germination on my Astrantias if I sow seeds in the autumn and leave the pots outside in winter. Come spring and they germinate no problem!
07/01/2011 at 12:59
I am a Belgian hobby-gardener. I am looking out for changing seeds of alstroemerias. I myself have beautiful hybrids with grand flowers and they have a tall of tree foot minimum. (real cut-alstroemerias) For exchanging seeds, contact me on email paul.vanhoovels@telenet.be Also we can send photo's of the plants and blooms.
22/04/2011 at 20:57
Help!! After planting Astrantia from seed twice no with no success, on the third attempt I am delighted to see that some have have germinated. At least I think they are astrantia. I have tried to find a photo on line to check the seed leaves match mine, but cannot find one. How soon should I prick them out - only 1 cm with first set of true leaves at present.
28/11/2011 at 18:36
They look lovely. Both these plants have been on my 'Must have plants' list for a while, although I haven'€™t thought of having them next to each other.

I bought some seeds of Astrantia (Ruby Major) early this year and sown them twice, but with no luck. I know that they need special treatment (leave in the fridge for 6weeks etc) which I followed. Can anyone let me know where I am going wrong? I'll give it another try and if still does not work will buy the plants grown.

I also bought the Alstroemeria roots online. These did not root either. But having looked at your display I am defiantly going to buy these plant next year for my garden.

email image
15 messages