Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Autumn heatwave

On the other hand...the seed falling from the wildflowers, the corncockle in particular, has already germinated. I fear the first frost will wipe these seedlings out and hopefully enough seed will still be on the ground for flowers next year.

• Yes, Ryan, nature;s bounty is terrific this year because of the late hot spell. I had cleared away part of the vegetation in my veg. patch ready for hard landscaping and now it is covered with borage, love-in-the-mist, marigold and poached egg plant seedlings!
  • And the violets are flowering their socks off again in the "Woodland Edge"garden at the Botanic Garden, competing for compliments with the lovely pink and white Cyclamen hederifolium who usually have it all to themselves in the autumn.
    Pippa, you would be envious of the wonderful harvest in the Mediterranean Vegetable garden. Even the sweet and hot peppers have performed this year and squashes of every shape and colour, ridge cucumbers, and beans galore in many varities. Sweet corn ripening nicely and a good crop. But the thing that had me drooling today was picking the black pears. I remember their white, fine textured flesh from last Xmas and this year the tree was laden and they are twice as big!
  • Oh! Pippa I was horrifid that the weather in October so far is all out of rain I have just had some magor surgery so am unable to water my pots I am looking out of the window watching everything in pots gradually deing can't bear it.
  • Well I had a glorious time, ridding my front border of that pesky bitter cress and spreading about a ton of mulch (not my favourite job) that was made so enjoyable by the super colours of the rustic dwarf rudbeckia I had shoved in between the tree roots. They looked like velvet in so many different colours. A horrid job made easier all because of a packet of free seed from T&M given away with one of their offers in Gardeners World. Dare not look at the back garden - its raining right now and I just know what sort of greenery I shall find when next I get out there!
  • Heatwave gone and we now have drizzle and high winds in Bristol but I have been out planting up the many lovely new plants I bought at the AGS Conference yesterday and my is the soil warm! I am sure they(the new plants) will be loving it and will establish well before the winter.
  • Yes, blossom which is normal in the spring is bursting out all over again - strawberries, flowering shrubs and trees like philadelphus(mock orange), magnolias, even lilac has fresh flowers beside the withered spring blossom. In all my years of gardening I have never seen anything like it. My primroses and primulas are flowering as if it really was spring.
  • Heatwave! We here in Scotland on the west coast have had rain on a biblical scale everything is starting to rot, I haven't been able to touch the garden:-(
  • Adam i dont no if you get to read thes articals about allotments or gardens we had charly dimmock at are comunity allotment this year and this spring we are having are local schools to the allotment and we love to have gardeners world ther but we dont no how to contact you we are northwood kirkby community allotments on roughwood drive or the local community centre on gilescroft ave northwood kirkby liverpool ask for joe this is a good thing for the area and the kids we whuld love to hear from you they are not starting till the spring thanks northwood kirkby community allotments
  • My primroses & primulas are flowering too

I'm loving the warm start to Autumn.

As a first time gardener I've feel that I'm slightly late with everything, so this warm weather is great. I've still got carnations grown from seed showing promise that they might even flower
  • can someone advise on how to winter trailing begonia. This is my first years attempt at gardening and i dont know very much at all. I have had success with the begonias, infact they are all still in beautiful flower. Do i cut them down now and take out of soil and dry them out before any frost sets in, im a bit nervous about loosing them, they are a mixture of tubers and cuttings that i have grown this year