London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
31/03/2011 at 07:43
And there was I thinking my ivy arbour over my old pear tree was just for the blackbirds. Thank you, Richard, for great blog on bees. I can't wait for this wind to die down to get out and do some voyeuring among the ivy.
31/03/2011 at 14:34
Really interesting! Several people on our allotments have bees, and recently someone approached my Dad and I to ask if we would keep a hive for them on our half plot. She said the bees would fly straight up in the air so there was little risk of stinging. My Dad (87) isn't so sure, however. Any advice? http://www.mandysutter.com/reluctant-gardener-day-1/
01/04/2011 at 06:45
There is a "Bee Week-end" at Easter at the Bristol University botanic Garden where I am sure all concerns about keeping bees will be answered. many people keep bees in cities now and I watched a beekeeper collect a swarm from the Garden last year. It seemed a very straightforward process and just think of the free honey, Mandy.
01/04/2011 at 08:00
Thanks v much, Happymarion. Mmm, free honey does sound great! I love these dedicated days and weekends, though I probably won't make it as far as Bristol. We had a 'Potato Day' up here in Yorkshire last month.
01/04/2011 at 16:07
I have a hive in my field where a local bee keeper keeps his bees. I don't have to do anything except thank him for some honey each autumn and enjoy the fact that I am helping bees by providing an insecticide free environment for them. At the moment I am sowing lots of seeds in my veggie plot to grow bee loving plants.Anyone interested should contact their local bee keeping association.
01/04/2011 at 19:53
if you want a sing a long about bringing back the bees check out Jess Goyder's video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WBPFWmD08 We hear the clip went viral around Boris Johnson's office. Maybe BBC can use the music?
07/04/2011 at 07:27
But when bees are busy gathering woody material for nest-building, they sometimes chew and spoil the timbers of fences and buildings, and strip the bark of trees causing die-back of branches and young shoots. For more information check out : http://eliminateem.com/hornets/
07/04/2011 at 23:24
Hi Interesting post. I have a bees nest in an old bird box this year. I'm not sure what type of bee has inhabited it but they look like miniature bumble bees. It's great to have them in the garden but the box is only about 3feet away from my 3yr old's swing which is a bit worrying. The swarm seems very relaxed and placid but not sure what to do about this really. advice would be good? Higgy http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/
08/04/2011 at 06:13
please be carefull how you phrase the context of bees doing the damage Sidrah,wasps and their genera do the damage NOT Apis melis the humble honey bee..yes wasps take minute particles to build their "paper" wonderdomes..but not stripping trees in THIS country,fear not.
09/04/2011 at 15:22
FUNGUS I have some fungus growing on some old carpet that I left on patio slabs last year. Looks like Yellow Brain, frizzy edges and translucent. Could it be anything else and as it was close to house does it pose a danger.
09/04/2011 at 21:46
Please can you tell me what to feed my two fig trees which are in an unheated greenhouse and never have a decent amount of figs and they have been there for at least 20 years. Should I give them a good water and feed them I have cut them back like they told me last Friday on Gardeners World.
10/04/2011 at 10:07
I'm working away under my ivy bower, keeping an eye open for the bees but soon find they are usurped by the beauty of the holly blue butterflies, which have deserted the holly bushes to visit my large spread of forget-me-nots for nectar. They too like the ivy and they have beaten my brimstones, the usual first butterflies to my garden.
11/04/2011 at 07:20
Sidrah. No need to worry about bees, or wasps, or hornets, in this country; they do not harm trees. It is quite fascinating to watch, and hear, them rasping away if you get close. Happymarion. Our holly blues are just out too. The reason they fly around ivy is that they are emerging from pupae in the thicket. The second generation of last year bred on ivy, the caterpillars eating the ivy flower buds and berries. They will now lay their eggs on holly, so the first generation can eat the buds and berries later in the year.
11/04/2011 at 20:28
Fascinating. I had to re-line the pond in my garden recently and when I pulled out the old liner, all around the edge I found lots of little tunnels. Later that day I found I was working in what seemed like a small swarm of bees, sacks full of pollen on their legs, trying to locate their tunnels. I felt really guilty about disturbing them so I finished the job as fast as I could and replaced things as well as I could. I have to keep fishing them out of the pond now!
27/04/2011 at 18:52
Could anyone tell me if I can spray my Lilies to stop Lily Beetle I have never had so many as this year I keep picking them off but I am sure I must miss a few. I never had Lily Beetle till a couple of years ago there certainly seems a lot more this year
12/07/2011 at 10:04
good post, thanks for sharing information,,, Weald Place Farm Bees is a UK based farm provide a high quality honey bee, bees for sale, queen bees for sale, honey bees for sale, UK queen bees, farm bees, beekeeping supplies, bee hives and suppliers of honey bees. <a href=”http://www.wealdplacefarmbees.co.uk/ “Honey Bees for Sale.
26/07/2011 at 09:14
i like your blog post, i have added your blog in my favorite blog, because it contain the important information related the Bee
08/08/2011 at 11:00
i like the Honey very much, the honey of the spring season has good test.
11/08/2011 at 07:07
i like the honey bee very much, i learned so important information from your blog thanks
17/08/2011 at 05:58
i like your blog because i like the honey and bee, i like those blog very much which contain the information related the honey and bee
1 to 20 of 21 messages