London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
15 messages
26/07/2008 at 15:18
I have had an invasion of black fly on my broad beans, Have companion planted and in the end I SPRAYED them and still they stayed. As both sides to me on the allotment have just started, they both had weeds so I put this down to this factor.
26/07/2008 at 22:17
I wonder if wasps also eat the blackfly as our beans are clean this year but we have 2 wasp nests one in a concrete bird box & one in an old dovecote.
07/08/2008 at 19:47
If I am to continue growing Vegs I must get a way of controlling SLUGS. Would it help if I grew a lot of Garlic on the edges of the beds and in rows in the beds? Help needed
15/08/2008 at 15:42
slugs are too greedy - i expect to lose 20% to them but this year they have taken the biscuit - well actually they have taken about 60% of my vegetables - surely this means war!!
11/10/2008 at 16:04
I'm interested in the suggestion that a spray of water and household detergent should see off blackfky from recently planted broad beans. I have just planted a crop to mature over the winter and they are under attack! Can any one suggest the best water to detergent mix to ensure the demise of the fly but avoids any problems for the plant or soil. But HURRY!! Please!!
10/06/2009 at 09:04
This year I have been avoiding using detergent and have been washing off the blackfly using a tissue soaked in anti-blackfly water - which is basically a pint glass of water in which I have left a cut up shallot and a crushed clove of garlic to soak. It smells pungent enough to me and it seems to have kept them from coming back!!
18/06/2009 at 20:26
i tried the detegent thing on my beans last year but found that the leaves tended to dry up. any suggestions for a vinegar solution?
27/05/2010 at 13:12
we are growing some spectacular broad beans in our school garden, blackfly have now appeared but after following the advice found here re. using diluted washing up liquid solution we've found that the leaves and flowers have shrivelled somewhat and are turning slightly black! i wonder if the solution we made was too concentrated, could you please let me know quantities used
02/07/2010 at 09:35
I have heard that a plant called Borridge - Borrige keeps blackfly away - apparently it has a small blue flower that is sometimes used in Pimms - does anyone know anything about this plant and where I can get it ??
02/07/2010 at 09:38
my sister got some borrige from a neighbour who had not heard about its effects but had 2 cherry trees - one thriving with Borrige growing under it and the other covered in blackfly with shrivelled leaves - they now agree that this may be the reason for the marked difference betweeen the 2 trees.
10/07/2010 at 19:51
I had to laugh about the borage idea. I companion planted borage next to my runner beans to attract bees. It was so infested with blackfly by mid july I just pulled it up as it was beyond help!I have had a serious problem this year- all over my cucumbers, courgettes, squash, sweetcorn! and even marigolds- must be the hot, dry weather- you just can't win!
17/07/2010 at 10:53
my broad beans all have a very tiny black marks on each bean where it would appear to be hiding an insect of sorts. The outside of the pods also have the same marks. Any idea what it is and how it can be avoided?
21/05/2011 at 12:18
I put grease (vaseline or similar) aound the bottom of my broad bean plants - this seems to work quite well as the ants won't climb up through the grease and therefore the blackfly does not seem to appear of colonise
28/11/2011 at 18:36
Yes, I too read with envy 'blackflyless broadbeans', so I am glad you have levelled with us. Usual advice is to take out the tops when the bottom flowers have set (formed small pods).

My Aquadulce did very well this year which were sown in Nov. 07, increasingly I am growing veg in blocks rather than rows as this makes them self supporting. BB Red Epicure for supper tonight seed chosen as GW recommends that veg with colour have more antioxidants.

I noticed too that the black bean aphid was not so strong this year so perhaps it was the ants that had tough time in last years rain? There is a silver lining to every cloud!

29/07/2013 at 13:51
Never mind the broad beans - it's my poor nasturtians I'm worried about, I have never seen blackfly like them! How could anyone use them as a sacraficial crop!
I wondered if peppermind tea or tansey might help! I'll try the detergent first!
Thanks
email image
15 messages